Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!

Hello,

I am new to the site and new to doing this whole posting thing! So if I have done this in the wrong section I apologize! Any way, I've got an 2006 5.7 340hp v drive and we are expirencing some weird issues this season so far! Every time that I turn the boat to the right it seems to start turning and gets to its full turning radius but then doesn't turn and begins to push water! We don't have fat sacks any more and the wakeboard plate it up! And no weight is in the boat that would make it uneven! No dings in the prop or any weird things goin on with the rudder! Any advice would help! Thanks and sorry again if I posted in the wrong spot!

Tim

Are you new to inboards?

Are you turning under power? Sorry if this is obvious, but the rudder needs prop wash over it to steer the boat. At low speed, an outboard or I/O handles better. But the inboard is much better for other things.

Comment

What speed is it occurring as Pace asked, as an inboard won't respond just like a jet ski if not under power? Can you post a video? Have you checked the rudder turning radius while on the trailer to eliminate the possibility of a loose steer cable or rudder?

Comment

Help!!

Had a steering cable jam nut come loose on my friends wakesetter in Powell a couple years ago, did almost the exact same thing. You could start to get a right turn but with any throttle it would push the rudder back and the boat would just plow
        water. I would check the steering cable and rudder to make sure everything is good and tight and functioning properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello guys sorry for the late responses apparently my email hasn't been updating and i haven't received any notifications about the replies! thanks for the replies! Yes I have had inboards my whole life and understand that they need power in order to turn! My problem occurs when towing inner tubers and go to turn right to whip them out the boat just gets what seems like stuck and then begins to push instead of turning...... I jumped down in the water with the boat on the dock and had my brother turn the wheel and i checked out the rudder and applied a bit of pressure with my hands and it seemed to be just fine! I also was discussing this issue with a boat dealer mechanic when i was picking up a neighbors boat and they said it could be one of the three fins underneath if ones bent or whatever it could cause the same issues but those checked out also! I also watched the rudder when we had a few tubers on and it seemed fine from the top of the engine bay! I can try and take a video of the issue! Along with a minor update... So we had some issues with the motor and idling. When I would start the boat the motor would start strong and then it would idle itself off. Upon further examination the water pump and fuel water separator were bad along with we did a distributor and ecu swap.... That seemed to have solved the problem for a short period of time. Now the motor seems like its miss firing again, its completely loosing power, still same steering issues, the prop seems to cavitate (sorry cant spell) and seems to be either not spinning correctly or slamming or rev-ing the motor up too high and the dash doesnt seem to be working as far as the rpm and some gauges. Also that red light is on when the boat is at an idle and then when putting it in gear and throttling up it shuts off, but then when back at idle it is back on. Also i have checked the motor fearing that it was oil pressure issues causing this and have found no oil on the stick but then after filling it with a quart or two it would be way over filled... any ideas on any of those issues? Any advice would help greatly! Thinking if its a lot which it seems like this is just haulin it to the nearest boat dealership and having them check it out! I can also take videos and pictures of all those issues as well if that will help! Really appreciate the advice and thanks again for all the info everyone!

Comment

Hi.

Has anything changed? New prop? Different tube (heavier / more drag)? Are you attaching the tube somewhere different? Did this work fine previously?

On a camp boat I drive, it definitely turns better one way than the other when towing a loaded tube. It's possible, since the tube is attached to the ski pylon (i.e., higher than the boat's COG), that it's listing the boat more or less than the hull design expects, causing odd handling.

What's your boat? Perhaps others with a similar hull have experienced something similar.

But if this worked before and now feels off, I'd wonder what changed recently...
            Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 06-16-2015, 02:00 AM.

Comment

I am willing to bet that the tube becomes partially sumberged when this happens. It happened twice to me with my old boat before I figured it out. The drag from the submerged tube overcomes the rudders ability to turn the boat. Just stop and let the tube get back on top of the water and you will be fine
              Last edited by dj2; 06-16-2015, 12:36 AM.

Comment

hello everybody i apologize for my terrible ability to respond in a fast manner, I know you are all willing to help find a solution! I work a very variable timed job so my schedule changes hourly! Anyway, to answer your question pace, I have replaced the prop with a lower end prop instead of the top end prop when I purchased it from a buddy to get the low end power over the high speed! Which actually i am havin an issue with the prop cavitating(if spelled right) or seeming to not cut the water properly. Also with the turning issue if i turn the wheel to much and then have the throttle down the engine begins to bog down. This happens especially when the boat lists to one side to hard. I usually attach the tubes to the tower of the boat! Which in the two years that we have had it never seemed to have caused a problem. I have an 06 22ve! and to answer your question dj2 I do know about the tubes submerging and that does happen on occasion but i know that once that happens to drain the tube out of the water so to not casue drag. Also i have a few pictures of the cable from below the motor and was wondering if you guys could tell me if it looks normal or if i could save it by greasing it or just straight up replacing the line. Also I will post some pics of the boat!

Comment

Working...
                X