No announcement yet.

Running Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys for the input. I am out of town for a week so when I get back I will look at all the suggestions given. Thanks Allen for the links and suggestion for the computer and its use. That is what I am looking for. I hate to take things to a dealer if I do not absolutely need to. This issue has been a bear to fix. It seems I do something and it cures the problem for a while and then it comes back. I will also be looking at the distributer and associated parts.
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Misfiring at speed? The camp 2007 Wakesetter did that last summer. After getting it nice and hot, it would misfire like crazy at 3000 rpm. Sometimes it would rev past that and clear up; sometimes it wouldn't get past that. Turned out to be the distributor shaft that wore enough to bounce at that rpm. New shaft fixed the problem. Apparently it's not uncommon.

Sure would be nice to have a technical FAQ to record things like this. In the meantime, I hope some experts chime in here - I don't know if that's the problem here and it's a medium pricey fix - but in the future others will be able to search and find this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by PaceWithGrace View Post
        Misfiring at speed? The camp 2007 Wakesetter did that last summer. After getting it nice and hot, it would misfire like crazy at 3000 rpm. Sometimes it would rev past that and clear up; sometimes it wouldn't get past that. Turned out to be the distributor shaft that wore enough to bounce at that rpm. New shaft fixed the problem. Apparently it's not uncommon.

Sure would be nice to have a technical FAQ to record things like this. In the meantime, I hope some experts chime in here - I don't know if that's the problem here and it's a medium pricey fix - but in the future others will be able to search and find this thread.
        That would be fairly easy to diagnose by using timing light on engine while having the problem. You would be able to see the timing bounce at the affected RPM.

Comment

A timing light may help at that time to prove a misfire however it will not definitively diagnose the exact cause of the misfire. There are other factors that can cause this condition. I have heard many that have had to change the distributer out for that same reason. It just seems that a distributer should not wear out so soon. I wonder about other factors as the computer, knock sensors, wiring, and all the associated electronics also.
          Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Working...
          X