Transmission fluid leak and slipping/shudder while surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission fluid leak and slipping/shudder while surfing

We've started noticing some shudders/slipping while surfing here lately. It only happens while surfing (around 11mph, taps at 6 and with about 1000lbs ballast). Cruising around without all that extra weight is normal. It seemed to start just on turns, but I noticed it a few times on straightaways more recently. After first noticing, I checked the tranny fluid and it was nearly empty. I refilled and went out a few more times, only to find it low again. I topped it off and even put in some Lucas Stops Slip, but that didn't seem to help.

A friend onboard thinks it may just be slipping BC its starving for gas given the angle the boat is at while surfing. We had just under half a tank while sitting flat, but the gauge reads empty when surfing. I'm assuming thats not the issue though.

Either way I know there is a leak somewhere, so perhaps its best to start there. I noticed a lot of fluid on top of the tranny yesterday and took a pic. There's also a bunch in the bilge. Any ideas where this might be coming from? I don't think I've spilled this much while refilling. Should I attempt to tighten the bolts shown in the pic?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Ive been working through a long list of issues so far this season - can't wait to have a boat that just works . Thanks! IMG_20150530_135033.jpg IMG_20150530_135024.jpg

Following up, I may found a potential source of the leak. The bolt shown in this pic was super loose - not even hand tightened. I tightened it up a bit and will cross my fingers that does it. Any other thoughts/suggestions would still def be much appreciated!
    IMG_20150531_154842.jpg
    Last edited by travis5550; 05-31-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

You see those allen bolts at the top of your picture thats a common source of leak , wipe them clean and watch them while running, if the get wet teflon them.

Comment

thanks dom! did you mean the allen bolts labeled A in the attached image, or is it possible to adjust the ones labeled B as well? btw what I found that was loose yesterday was the bolt with a red dot on it. thanks again!

IMG_20150530_135033.jpg

Comment

Don't use Teflon tape, use a pipe seal compound, otherwise known as pipe dope.. Little pieces of the Teflon tape will plug up your cooling passages...

Comment

Im talking about the ones labled A, and there could be one next to it.

Comment

Working...
            X