What oil should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What oil should I use?

Just bought a used 2008 Tige' with 290 hours. The place where I purchased the boat said they did change the oil. I have put about 4 hours on the boat and it is now down about 1/2 quart and the oil pressure alarm sounds when idling. The place I bought the boat told me that it will use oil, keep it full and the alarm will not sound. They said they used 40. Does this sound correct?

Are you sure its the oil level sounder thats going off? is that .5qt below the full or .5qt below the "add" line? Did it leave the lot full or is that just an assumption? 4 hours is not using oil, thats leaking it and at a pretty goo rate. Sounds like the know something they didnt want to share with a perspective buyer/new owner.

15W-40
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Are you checking on the water or on the trailer.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

You can download the manual for the Marine Power engine - it will recommend straight 30 or 40 depending on your average temp.

Comment

chpthril - thanks, and that is my worry. I am not sure that it is the oil level sounder that is going off. How do I tell? I see the oil gage dropping to 1/4 when the alarm sounds. At high speed the oil gage is at 3/4. When I rev up the engine the sounder stops.

Comment

TeamAllen - checking on the water. I keep the boat on a lift. I checked when the alarm sounded.

Comment

What color and condition is the oil?

Comment

didnt 08 have the dip stick TSB? overfilled will cause foaming, thus erratic pressure.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

There was a year were the tube was too long and had to be cut shorter to get a correct reading.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    didnt 08 have the dip stick TSB? overfilled will cause foaming, thus erratic pressure.
                    my 2011 had a TSB for the pcm 409. but basically what you stated. they must have determined the original was allowing for too much oil to be put in. only difference of the two was the marks of high and low. and the new one has a T grip at the top. the original had a ring type circle.
                    2011 Tigé RZ4
                    www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

I believe in 2008 they sent dealers a little device you would slide over the tube and if it was too long you would mark and cut off the tube to match.

Comment

Recently changed, so good condition.

Comment

Working...
                        X