Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crankcase ventilation system hose connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase ventilation system hose connection?

Hi Tigeowners

My boat is an Tige 21 i Type R from 2002 with Mercruiser 5.7 ski carb.

I have noticed that the ventilation hoses on the vale covers are not connected to anything they are just hanging in free air.
    As far as i can see in the manual they should be connected to flame arrestor and carburetor tube.
    The flame arrestor hook up I can find but the carburetor doses not have anywhere I can connect the other hose.
    Is it okay to let the one on the PCV side hang in free air?

PCV.jpg

It's okay to let them hang out but there is an attachment that fits on top of the flame arrestor where the tubes connect. This then directs the crankcase vapor directly back to the intake where it gets burned. If you let them vent into the compartment and not to the intake, oil vapor tends to coat all the engine components.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Okay I will attach both hoses to the flame arrestor.

How can i test if the PCV valve is working as supposed? As i understand it no PCV valve is needed if no vacuum is attached to it. Would I be better of changing the PCV valve to a open breather like in the other side?
      Last edited by Ulrik; 05-04-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Correct, pcv needs vacuum to function correctly and they're usually connected at the base of the carb with a barb. Does yours not? Was it there prior to rebuild?
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I'm the third owner of the boat and when I got it the hoses were just hanging loose. I have looked at the carb and can't find anywhere to hook it on. :/
          When I think about it the hose on the PCV have never been letting air out. My guess is its always closed.

Comment

Working...
          X