What is this? Found it leaking today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this? Found it leaking today.

Uncovered the tige today and began the spring time check list, fired it up changed the oil and began looking for any possible issues. I found a water spray or leak from this item, more heavy once the engine was shut down, it appears to be inline to the ballast system supply hose, there are two lines threaded into it and the hoses seem to go to the top of the transmission. I believe it is a heat exchanger or cooler for the transmission fluid. I guess a few years of brackish water use and probable not fully empty of water during the winter and potential freezing (esp this past winter) have finally done it in. I've searched on line but haven't found a close match to what I see.
    P4040151.jpg
    I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

trans cooler. Whats it leaking, water or oil? I would check/change the trans fluid just to make sure its not getting water into the trans.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My buddy had his 24ve do that back n the day it had water in it and froze up too my guess is it has a hairline crack in it
      surf till u die.

Comment

Oil Cooler Link/

Comment

It is leaking water, I checked the transmission fluid and it is clean. Nice and red no water contamination. I did find that the v-drive fluid is milky. So I guess the pass through cooler for the v drive oil is also seeping water into the oil, the level is drastically overfillled, but it shouldn't be milky in color. Anyone know if the outer cover on the V drive cover can be removed and replaced without any crazy disassembly of the internal gears?

Regarding the link, is an exact replacement not nec in this situation?

Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post

I checked the one on my boat and the line connection is on the top and the drain plug is on the bottom, not sure if I can make this configuration work. I checked the website link you provided and I don't see another one with line connections on one side and the drain plug on the other, now that I now that I know the cooler is there, I can take care of it during winterization since I now know its there and needs attention too, just don't think there is enough room to route the lines toward the bottom so the drain plug is positioned correctly.

Second, have you purchased from this web site before? Are they good to deal with?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
              I checked the one on my boat and the line connection is on the top and the drain plug is on the bottom, not sure if I can make this configuration work. I checked the website link you provided and I don't see another one with line connections on one side and the drain plug on the other, now that I now that I know the cooler is there, I can take care of it during winterization since I now know its there and needs attention too, just don't think there is enough room to route the lines toward the bottom so the drain plug is positioned correctly.

Second, have you purchased from this web site before? Are they good to deal with?

Thanks,
              Dont let the drain plug be a deal breaker. Its a PITA to get out and back in when winterizing, much easier to just pull the inlet hose and let the water out.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post

Thanks,
                They made your engine. It is Marine Power.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Dont let the drain plug be a deal breaker. Its a PITA to get out and back in when winterizing, much easier to just pull the inlet hose and let the water out.
                  Originally posted by lee View Post
                  They made your engine. It is Marine Power.
                  Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I got in there again last night and traced the hose and it doesn't lead from what I thought. Just as you said Mike, I can just remove it from the impeller outlet and drain from there much easier.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    +1E6! Drain plug is hopeless. I have found it easiest to remove the mounting bolt holding the intercooler to the engine, then disconnect the forward (inlet) hose just as ChpThril recommends. This is WAY easier than any other method due to the restricted space between the engine block and the stringer in that area. I also use a shop vac to suck all possible water out of the hose and the intercooler, since I already have a shop vac in there to remove the last traces of water from the bilge area under the engine and transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                      +1E6! Drain plug is hopeless. I have found it easiest to remove the mounting bolt holding the intercooler to the engine, then disconnect the forward (inlet) hose just as ChpThril recommends. This is WAY easier than any other method due to the restricted space between the engine block and the stringer in that area. I also use a shop vac to suck all possible water out of the hose and the intercooler, since I already have a shop vac in there to remove the last traces of water from the bilge area under the engine and transmission.
                      That is a great idea and good advice. I wish I knew about this 8 years ago. I could have drained at the end of each season, but somehow I missed this, even checking the forum for as many winterization threads to make sure I had it all covered and still missed it. I'm wondering if there is anything thing else I have missed during the winterization the past 7 years?

I got it out just a while ago, it was a mo-fo to get to but all in all didn't take that long to get out.

Comment

Working...
                      X