Winter Project - reconnecting the heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Project - reconnecting the heater

So, As I start checking off the winter projects on by 2002 fslm, it has become clear that I will replace the heater core (with one from NAPA) to get my heater working again for early spring trips.

I'm contemplating hooking a bypass "loop" so that should the core start leaking on an extended trip, I can bypass the core without any issues. Additionally I can bypass the core during the hot summer months. OR should I just install a valve after the hose barb on each heater hose to "shutoff" each flow and not do a loop at all?

I'm looking for any pics and/or descriptions on how people have done this in the past, especially securing the valves so they just don't "flop around".

Thanks,
    Last edited by uttige2002; 01-08-2015, 10:13 PM.

Why would you want to bypass the heater in the summer? I keep a connector in the glove box in case the heater core were to leak so that I could put that in really quick if something was wrong.

Comment

just a couple thoughts:

1. having either 2 valves or a bypass loop would allow a "quick shutoff" if there's a leak, without having to work in tight places to remove heater hoses and then connect them with a connector
      2. In the hot Utah summers - "turning off the heater" by not having the hot water circulate may or may not have some benefit.

Comment

If the heater blower is not on you should not feel the heat. You could get a brass 5/8" threaded coupler and you that as a splice. Just slide the hose on the coupler and use the clamps from the core.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
          If the heater blower is not on you should not feel the heat.
          Exactly. It's not like a car where fresh air is still blowing through the system.

Comment

I installed ball valves on mine, best solution for leaks. Had a customer's boat try and sink when he didn't take the advise and the heater core leaked while surfing. We do it as preventive maintenance on all water heater and heater installations. The valves don't flop around as they're brass quarter turn ball valves with pretty tight internal seals that keep it open, closed or half way in between. I'll take some pics when I'm on the boat next.
            Last edited by boatwakes; 01-13-2015, 04:20 AM.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Btw, a 3/8"npt pipe nipple about 4" long fits inside any 5/8" inside diameter hose. If you use this method to loop the lines I suggest a PVC schedule 80 (grey) for the job.
              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

thanks - pics next time you're on the boat would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
                X