No announcement yet.

Tranny noise and slipping at low edle??? 2008 22VE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added more SAE 30 into the tranny just recently, but the rest of the tranny oil has been used this summer. I am out of boating season, so I can't go out and put 10 hrs or more on the boat now, wish I could!!
    So, still do the oil sample kit or wait until spring, put the hours on it then test? I'd really like to get this issue solved this offseason. Thanks for the help Boatwakes.

Comment

Do the sample as soon as you can and then lets review the results.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I just want to add a likely cause of the oil loss. I have the same boat. Last year I experienced oil loss from the v-drive transmission into the bilge. I traced the leak to a loose bolt on the housing on the top of the horizontal cylinder shaped section which has the shift linkage attached. If you have unexplained oil loss, I would look for a loose bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by mls6722 View Post
          I just want to add a likely cause of the oil loss. I have the same boat. Last year I experienced oil loss from the v-drive transmission into the bilge. I traced the leak to a loose bolt on the housing on the top of the horizontal cylinder shaped section which has the shift linkage attached. If you have unexplained oil loss, I would look for a loose bolt.
          I'll actually do that as I found a bolt a couple years ago that I couldn't find where it came from. I also have the oil sample kit ordered and will report back on the results.

thanks!!

Comment

Does this look normal, its t shaft coming out of t vdrive. Oil test kit on order.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, here is pic of shaft. Other is tranny plate.IMG_20141109_143055134.jpgIMG_20141109_143050217.jpg

Comment

I have submitted the oil test, and am awaiting the results. Does anyone have a link or feed on how to adjust the linkage/throttle cable? This keeps coming up as a possible reason for the issue of the knock in the tranny at low rpm. I wanted to see if that would solve my issue. I'm also thinking about having the Marine power guys hook up the engine to the computer, to make sure its running correctly and not causing the problem.

Comment

Cable adjustment: at the cable connection to the transmission is a fitting that screws onto the end of the cable. It has a quick disconnect to the trans shift linkage. Disconnect is achieved by pulling back on the outside of the cable connection to the trans shift linkage and pulling the cable end to the side of the shift linkage. Loosen the 5/16 lock nut at the threaded cable end and either screw down or unscrew the cable end to adjust depending if you have a pull or push shift linkage on the transmission.

Comment

Here is t oil teat results. Please advise as I have no idea what this test means. Thank you.

Comment

Sorry, t file is too big to upload, so will get it uploaded once I can get it figured out.

Comment

oil test results for ZF HURTH tranny

Diagnosis-
                        All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first
                        sample. Sodium level (oil additive/coolant chemical/salt
                        water residue) high. Water content acceptable.
                        Viscosity within specified operating range.
                        Action: As oil already changed, Resample at a reduced
                        service interval to monitor and establish wear trend.

Metals (ppm)
                        Iron (Fe)
                        Chromium (Cr)
                        <1
                        Lead (Pb)
                        Copper (Cu)
                        Tin (Sn)
                        <1
                        Aluminium (Al)
                        Nickel (Ni)
                        <1
                        Silver (Ag)
                        Titanium (Ti)
                        <1
                        Vanadium (V)
                        <1
                        Contaminants (ppm)
                        Silicon (Si)
                        Sodium (Na)
                        Potassium (K)
                        <5
                        Additives (ppm)
                        Magnesium (Mg)
                        Calcium (Ca)
                        Barium (Ba)
                        Phosphorus (P)
                        Zinc (Zn)
                        Molybdenum (Mo)
                        Boron (B)
                        Contaminants
                        Water (%)
                        <0.05
                        Physical Tests
                        Viscosity (cSt 100C)
                        Solids (%)
                        <0.1
                        Physical / Chemical
                        Acid Number (mgKOH/g)
                        Let me know what your thoughts are please???

Comment

Wow!!! Sodium is basically off the charts, normal readings are 0-10ppm and you're above 300. Replace your transmission cooler IMMEDIATELY!!! On those engines the cooler is on the suction side of the raw water system and it's most likely got a pinhole in it allowing pressurized fluid to be sucked into the raw water system and expelled through the exhaust. The rest of the oil looks to show slight clutch breakdown (higher lead and copper levels) most likely from low oil level or not full shifts. As a test bed, when zf units begin to slip, they'll chatter when the fluid is hot and it will feel like a shudder while in operation. Is this something you've experienced?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, where can I find a transmission cooler replacement?? Is it a dyi, or should I hire it out?
                            The only thing I noticed is t crafter right when the boat goes into forward gear. No noise is reverse, and t clatter is only at low rpm, it runs fine other than that. I do always seem to have low fluid level in t tranny, but I was always checking it when it was on t trailer.
                            I'm on the hunt for a tranny cooler replacement asap.

Comment

You think this is the cause of the noise i am hearing at low rpm? Will replacing the tranny cooler solve my problem with the tranny noise? After replacing the tranny cooler, if i still have the noise, what is my next step? Thanks for all the help, i am 3 hrs away from an inboard serviceshop, only things around here are jetboat shops.

Comment

Ok, I have replaced the tranny cooler, now I would like to share my plan of attack for fixing this issue. First, I am taking the boat to the water with the Marine Power engine rep here in town to make sure its properly tuned and hook it up to the computer, and also to see if the throttle cable needs adjusting. Then, if the problem persists, should I then take the boat to a dealer 3 hrs away for tranny rebuild? What would be the best steps to take Boatwakes, you know your stuff, so I'm leaning on you.

Comment

Working...
                                X