2003 22V shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 22V shaft removal

My first weekend after getting the "new" boat running, I hit a stump in my lake.
    We have taken out the prop, strut, and rudder as they were all bent. I took all 3 pieces to my local prop/machine shop and they said they can fix them, but will need the shaft and coupler. Are there any instructions out there on the easiest way to remove the shaft? I have an 06 6.2 Black scorpion with the Walters RV-24D V drive. While all this stuff is out, what parts/part numbers should I replace like the strut bearings, shaft seal, ect...
    Last, what are the procedures for putting everything back together correctly? Proper sealing, alignment, ect...

Thanks in advance guys,

Alan

If you have the PSS shaft seal, in the stainless collar, remove the 2 allen set screws and then the 2 hold down screws underneath the set screws first then follow directions below. This will allow the stainless collar to slide off the shaft during removal. If you have the regular packing, just follow below.

-Remove the 4 coupler bolts from the v-drive to prop shaft connection.
    -Put the prop back on and back it using the nut but don't tighten it down, just take out the slack.
    - Pull the prop shaft and coupler apart so they separate from the v-drive coupler and expose the nut inside the coupler.
    - Remove the prop shaft coupler nut so the coupler can slide off
    - Install the coupler back to the v-drive coupler using original sized bolts but longer, like 2" or so
    - Pull on the prop to get the coupler to release from the shaft. Sometimes this requires 100 pulls (longer coupler bolts allow for a slide hammer effect on the coupler) and other times it'll let go right away
    - Once the coupler and shaft separate, you're good to go.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Definitely use the XPC composite strut bearing (http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asp)

It will last longer than the old rubber type

Comment

Thnx! So your saying in either case, we do not have to remove the V-Drive to get the shaft and coupler completely out?

Comment

Originally posted by amharper2k View Post
          Thnx! So your saying in either case, we do not have to remove the V-Drive to get the shaft and coupler completely out?
          Correct, you just have to remove the coupler from the shaft. When you're ready to reassemble I've done a couple write ups on how to do alignment so you can search for those too.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
          X