Steering issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering issued

I have a 2006 20V and this year the steering has been very stiff I have taken the steering cable off the rutter and greased it. I think it is the cable is there any way of greasing it or do they just go bad after a while

You're going to have to replace the cable. For all surfing boats, upgrade to hydraulic and forget about it ($1200 or so) or replace the cable every 2 years.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Then I guess I'm ahead of the game. My 20V is on it's 3rd season on a new cable with no signs of a stiffy Awesome.

Just some advice on the 20v---you don't have to pull the tank to put a new one in. Just route the new cable to the right of the steering column and to the side of the captains chair. Then run it through the battery compartment and drill a new hole where your battery cables go into the engine compartment. Then you can route it right next to the side of the v-drive and down where it needs to connect to the rudder. It took me longer to cut the old one in half and pull it out than it did to put the new one in. This will also be a slightly shorter run so you can order a 1-2' shorter cable. I didn't and now have a loop on top of my gas tank...which isn't really a problem but it's there. The new cables are far better than the original if you get the extreme version.

Comment

Working...
      X