Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked Alpha Z Tower

Hi All

Anyone have this issue before? I'm hoping a spot weld will take care of it?

Thanks
    Chrisphoto-6.jpg

Hey Chris,

My 09 Z1 did this almost exact same thing but it was a longer crack. I had mine welded but I did not pay attention to the cables running inside the tower so one of them snapped. Watch out for that.

jk

Comment

are you towing tubes or the like from your tower?

Comment

See thread below, I found out it's going to cost $1,600 for just the bases with no install. I will be welding a plate on mine this winter. I tried notching and tigging a crack similar to yours and it came right back. It's a bummer to have a $50k+ boat and have a welded tower 4 seasons later....

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ked+tower+base

Comment

Can you guys with cracked towers confirm that you all have the screw type tower pins? All these cracks look like metal fatigue from the bolts getting tight and pulling the tower base in. From the pics I've seen on all the threads about the cracks it looks like they are all the screw type pins for locking the tower down.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Mine has the same thing. I am sure Tige will claim we all hit something with our towers. I know a guy that has it on his brand new 2015. I wonder what he hit. This looks like a very poor design and Tige is not prepared to pay the cost to fix their mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by gasoline_24 View Post
              Mine has the same thing. I am sure Tige will claim we all hit something with our towers. I know a guy that has it on his brand new 2015. I wonder what he hit. This looks like a very poor design and Tige is not prepared to pay the cost to fix their mistake.
              I would be the guy your talking about and yes the alpha z leg design is crap! I have read many instances where they have broke or hair line cracked in this exact same spot. Hit something hell no!! Any car MFG would have a recall on them and cover the cost of replacement but instead a boat mfg can say it must be negligence and won't touch the cost to fix and or go back to the drawing board to redesign something that isn't such a **** design costing owners lost time and thousands to fix.

My 15 cracked on the 2nd time of folding down. The factory had failed to put thread lock on the heli-coils that are inserted in the tower itself which came loose when trying to unscrew the thru bolts. I tried everything to free the heli coil from the bolt while also trying to not scratch the tower. Nearly impossible. Well needles to say the tower leg developed a small hair line crack while backing the bolt out and by the end of the task which could've been prevented if the factory would've thread locked the heli or just plain do another design that isn't cobbled! Frustrated YES! nothing worse than a brand new boat with a cracked tower leg!! sounds like this will be covered but the down time and travel to fix is of course on the customer. It seems these legs cause many issues and Tige doesn't want to address it and instead say the customer "must have hit something" Rant over but hope if the factory reads this forum it will prompt them to make change in the design of the tower legs!!

Comment

Looks to me like the tower was designed with a simple pin to lock it down, and all these cracks appear to be from Tige changing the design of the pins to the screw type pins. That introduces extra stress on the sides of the tower legs, which is where I see all the cracking. Looks to me like Tige is going to have to change something with the threaded bolt type of pins to prevent them from pulling the base of the tower together or just design a new base that can take the stress of the bolts. If I had the bolts on my tower I would be very careful not to over tighten them, I would barely get them finger tight until there is a better solution to the base cracking.

Comment

The Alpha Z tower is solid, that I will admit. It may be time for a new tower. There are still some companies working with tubing and producing very nice towers. Maybe they could look at 3rd parties, I know Roswell is doing the Natique tower and for has it the new Supra tower as well. At least tubing can be worked on and "repaired" of needed, cast is difficult to say the least. While redesigning they could add a little height to the tower.
                  "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                    If I had the bolts on my tower I would be very careful not to over tighten them, I would barely get them finger tight until there is a better solution to the base cracking.
                    Agreed. I have bolts that I "hand" tighten (i.e., they can go more but not a lot). And I have very small hairline cracks on both sides (less than 1/4") for a few seasons. I plan on "finger" tightening them with blue locktite (i.e., tight enough to serve as a pin without significant compression and not to rattle).

I am also considering having the cracks spot welded but I am leaning towards just keeping an eye on them (the small hairlines have been there several seasons).

And I wish I never upgraded the original pins for the "recall" screws.

Comment

If I remember correctly the screw type pins were to help the problem of loose pins rattling. The dealer I bought my boat from was able to adjust something in the pin holes to make my pins fit tight and not rattle. And they don't get loose on me either. I'm not switching over to the new screw types anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                        If I remember correctly the screw type pins were to help the problem of loose pins rattling. The dealer I bought my boat from was able to adjust something in the pin holes to make my pins fit tight and not rattle. And they don't get loose on me either. I'm not switching over to the new screw types anytime soon.
                        From memory, the problem was the original pin dial actually turning to the point it could rattle out. Mine original pin dials were always turning toward the pull out position. Hindsight is 20/20.

I do wonder what Tige will do (i.e., will there be a further recall or admission that the fix was wrong -- probably not absent a class action suit).

Comment

Our dial used to turn to 'unlock' almost seconds after locking it. We went to the screw-type handles & the problem has lessened but still not perfect. We have to check it a few times while out for the day. No cracks on the tower yet, knock on wood.

Comment

It is amazing they do not even defend themselves on their own forum. I think that tells you all you need to know about this issue. Maybe we will have to look into a class action from all of us that have the same issue and have never "hit" anything with our boats.

Comment

Well, we are a small number of enthusiasts on a forum who come seeking info, so, these might be the only handful of cases of cracking. Mine is not cracking so I haven't contacted my dealer or tige. For the individuals with the cracks, what is your dealer telling you?

Rest assured Tige is reading these forums but they rarely comment or defend themselves here. Just look at wakeworld.com to see how a boat manufacturers responses can usually be taken well, but some people just take every word written and twist it like a knife into the public image of the company.

Comment

Working...
                              X