2014 Z3 Indmar 6.0L Shaft Seal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Z3 Indmar 6.0L Shaft Seal Question

Is this what the shaft seal is supposed to look like on a 2014 Z3 with the Indmar 6.0L?

http://www.shaftseal.com/en/products/24

I noticed a whining noise coming from the engine compartment yesterday while cruising. I checked if it was present with reving the engine (gear not engaged) and in gear. It only happens when the boat is in gear and it seems to happen when around ~12 mph or faster. I checked the tranny fluids and oil and all are fine. Did notice the v-drive fluid seemed to have some bubbles on the dipstick, whereas the tranny didn't. I noticed a considerable amount of water in the bilge and started looking for a source. Even though the kids get in and out of the boat many times while swimming and playing, I couldn't believe they would have provided that much water in the bilge. It was enough that when I turned on the bilge right behind the fuel tank it pumped out quite a bit of water, but it wasn't enough to engage the float switch (not yet anyway). I started looking again and noticed water coming in from the shaft seal bellow on the front side (facing the bow) of the bellow. I couldn't see it when I initially started looking around because that portion of the billow was under water. I looked at pictures today of shaft seals (I'm guessing this is similar to what is on the boat) and noticed mine doesn't appear to have the rotor and carbon flange / hose barb. Does that mean it has loosened and moved away from the bellow or possible I just didn't notice it was actually there and it was leaking from the rotor portion? I almost am certain though it was coming from a bellow where the hose clamps sit. I am not able to get to the boat for the next week or two, but I'm hoping it is easily rectified and hasn't damage anything and that I can resolve it without taking it to the dealer. My dealer is awesome, but I don't want to have to loose any time on the water if possible.

Should I be concerned there is damage that I may not be able to locate since I had the whining noise and take it to the dealer or is it possible I can correct the shaft seal leak and it could be fine without the whine.

I also located these instructions that I would do (as long as it is the correct seal),

http://www.shaftseal.com/system/atta...ions_small.pdf

I greatly appreciate all the help and feedback many provide as some of it has already helped me with other minor issues.

The whining sound could be from the seal not getting water flow. Running it like that very long will damage it.

It's possible that the two are related. Maybe the water line blocked and leaking some, and thus the seal not getting flow.

Comment

The bubbles on the dipstick might have been the transmission and not the v-drive. It was on the dipstick near the stern.

Comment

What color is the bellows and shaft seal assembly.

Comment

I was wondering if that might have been the problem. Is that the correct seal that would be on the shaft? I just want to make sure I have instructions on how to adjust it (if needed) and check/clear the line. I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid to tackle it if it's not too difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
            What color is the bellows and shaft seal assembly.
            Dom,

The bellow is black, but I didn't notice the seal assembly. I'll have to check when I get to the boat in a week or 2.

It appeared as if only the bellow was visible with the clamps on each end. Didn't see the flange or collar with the hose fitting.

Wish I would have taken a picture.

Comment

I have been in quiet a few 2014's with the Indmar's and almost all have had a whine to them when the boat is in gear but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of the mechanics of the boat...from what I could tell at least.

Comment

Originally posted by rensink View Post
                I have been in quiet a few 2014's with the Indmar's and almost all have had a whine to them when the boat is in gear but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of the mechanics of the boat...from what I could tell at least.
                I know the whine you're referring to. It actually may be more of a squeal than the typical whine that you hear. It's also a little different than the whine I hear from the kids every so often. [emoji16]

Comment

If anybody is able to take a pic of what's it's supposed to look like, I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

The reason I asked what color was because the orange bellows with hose isnt adjustable but if yours has a stainless collar with allens that style is ussally adjustable, suggest pictures of yours.

Comment

The reason I asked what color was because the orange bellows with hose isnt adjustable but if yours has a stainless collar with allens that style is ussally adjustable, suggest pictures of yours.
                      Thanks Dom. I'll get a pic as soon as I can get back to the boat. Hopefully this weekend and if not it will be next weekend.

Comment

Dom, here's a pic. It's red, white, and blue. I could have sworn it was a black bellow. Thanks for asking for a pic. It's dripping in the very front. You can see some buildup from the drip.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405796858.820816.jpg

Comment

Looks like it's an OJ prop seal and they're not adjustable. Ugh... I guess the good thing is it doesn't put enough water in the bilge to even turn it in, but I hate having anything not working properly. Since it's not leaking badly, is it okay to run it until the end of the season before I have it looked at by the dealer?

Comment

Is it okay to use it through the end of the season leaking like it is? It looks like I also have some ATF fluid in the bilge. I wiped it up and checked the levels, they were in between full and low. Yesterday we surfed a little more than usual and it seems there's more ATF fluid in the bilge, unless it was already in the bilge and had moved from the bow to the engine compartment with the additional water. I have not had any alarms nor has the engine temp risen above 160/162 while moving or 170/174 while sitting with engine off. Any thoughts? Greatly appreciate the help...

Comment

Working...
                            X