24v Starter Grinding..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v Starter Grinding..

All of a sudden we're gettin a starter grind during start up... it's quick grind after a few clean revolutions... as the motor starts.

AND right after that the starter then proceeds to freeze. After a few times hitting the key it sounded fine and started. We left the boat running for the last 2 hours. Got back to the bouy..killed it...then tried to start it. Fired right up no grind...

Not sure...hopefully it was just my neighbors yappy' poodle stuck in the flywheel OR their bratty rock throwing kid...OR something else..

Checked starter relay that was fine..

Boat has 2 BRAND SPANKIN' NEW batteries.

Fresh connections at the terminals..all clean and snug

270 motor hours

Mechanic says NEW STARTER. Im sure he'd like to fix it. It's a NO BRAINER to install.... Bend me over for an hours labor to do something I could do in less than 10 minutes...blindfolded!

Just in case it's bad... if someone has a favorite vendor..someone who they trust I'd love to know.

Found one online for 150...
    Last edited by MooseX; 07-11-2014, 02:26 AM.
    my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Is it rear mounted or front? Google dbelectrical.com, we get most of our starters from them.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
      Is it rear mounted or front? Google dbelectrical.com, we get most of our starters from them.
      Def giving them a call

Starter is on top back by the gearbox

Snap to repace like 10 min
      my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Duff' had the same problem...Too much water in the bilge messin' with the starter. We adj. the prop shaft seal and BAM! no more water and the starter behaved as it always does...flawlessly

whew...

Comment

Working...
        X