2008 tige 20v not starting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 tige 20v not starting!

I have a 2008 20v with the 5.7 motor that is having issues starting. Whenever I turn the key on I hear the fuel pump priming but when I try cranking it over it might fire and run for a few seconds and then it dies. Once it runs for a second it will not fire again for a few days and does the same thing. Any ideas on what to start looking at? I am not sure if it is one of the fuel pumps or if it is a ignition issue.

pull the fuel line off the top of the motor and pump the gas into a container, turn it over and verify that its actually pumping fuel. could be a number of issues. but verify your getting gas and go from there. if not gas. clogged fuel filter maybe? bad pump? you might hear a pump but verify your getting gas to the motor.
    2011 Tigé RZ4
    www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Thanks...I will give that a try...it does get fuel to the rail as far as I know..i pushed the pressure valve and fuel came out of there, but I need to check if it is constant when I try to crank it.

Comment

Your issue sounds very much like the issue I had with my 20v - The problem ended up being the high pressure fuel pump I was still getting fuel at the rail but it did not have enough pressure for the injectors - I would recommend putting a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what it does when you try starting the boat.

Comment

I am going to get a pressure gauge tomorrow...what kind of numbers should I be looking for? We just replaced the high pressure pump last summer and have only run the boat a handful of times since then.

Comment

Idle air control valve or IAC. If you can apply throttle in neutral and get it started but not be able to bring it back to idle, thats the problem.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

So I got a pressure gauge and tested the pump and was only getting 4psi when I was letting the pump prime. when I tried cranking I was not getting any reading. since the high pressure pump was replaced maybe 10 running hours ago I went ahead and ordered a new low pressure pump. hopefully that will work.....Where is the IAC located? I figure I can check that as well just in case.

Comment

okay, I replaced the low pressure pump and I am still getting nothing. it will fire but will not idle for more than a few seconds and then it dies. I am going to rent another pressure gauge tomorrow and check it again but other than that I am at a total lost. any more ideas would be welcomed!

Comment

Okay now that you have a pressure reading you're supposed to have at least 30psi any time the pump primes or the engine is running so it sounds like the hi pressure pump is the issue even if it was recently replaced. It could also be related to lack of fuel so if you can, hook up a separate fuel tank like a gas can or something to the suction side of the filter and then try again. Quick question: is there fuel in the tank? At certain angles the pick up for the tank can miss the gas that's left inside. Low fuel pressure is due to either no fuel or bad pump.
                  Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

thanks for the help on this! I am going to try a external tank this weekend and see if that helps at all. I was worried about the angle of the boat in the driveway and not getting any good fuel to the motor cause when I pulled the lines at the rail and primed the pumps it pumped out some real dirty gas first and then cleared up after a couple seconds. I really hope its not the high pressure pump again!

Comment

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having a similar issue, although not quite as extreme.

Comment

Working...
                      X