Proper way to check transmission oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper way to check transmission oil?

I have a 2003 22v. I've been checking my transmission oil using the stick accessible from the engine compartment. I remember hearing there may be another place to check? Possible toward the front of the transmission?

The dipstick I check is on the operators side of trans.

Comment

Sorry about the late reply to this post.....but, there is another option for checking the fluid level on the dipstick in the transmission if you don't do this already. I change my tranny fluid every season and I have done this on my 03 22V for years without issue. Of course, I verify this process the first time out on the water every season by checking the fluid when it is warm. First, follow the recommended method for checking the transmission fluid after it has warmed up by stopping the engine and immediately pulling the dipstick to check the level (I perform this on the water). Make sure the fluid level is at the full line on the dipstick. Then later, once you are off the water and have allowed the transmission fluid to completely cool down, pull the dipstick and check the fluid level. Scribe/etch a line around the dipstick at this new higher level. (For accuracy, after scribing the line on my dipstick, I verified my fluid level was correct on the lake the next time out) The new higher line indicates the full fluid level when the boat is cold and be checked off the water!

Comment

Great tip, thanks for sharing. I just purchased my used boat and will be doing this at the end of the season.

Comment

Working...
        X