Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minor Starting Issue - What to check first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor Starting Issue - What to check first?

I've had the boat out three times this year and about half the time I start the boat I need to put it in neutral and give it some gas. This happened last year some but not as often. Time for new spark plugs? or something else? Thanks!

What year and model boat and engine do you have?
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I had an issue were sometimes the boat would not turn over.
      If I moved the throttle lever back a fourth a few times, I could get the starter to turn over, so I thought I had a bad neutral switch or some sort of other safety switch. After tracing the wires back and checking all the safety switches, it turned out to be the starter relay mounted on top of the engine that was going bad. Replaced it with a $10 one from Autozone and have never had any more issue
      Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I have 2003 22v with a 5.7L? Merc

Comment

Should I be running premium gas?

Comment

I've been running mid-grade with a marine ethanol treatment.

Comment

Found this thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=hard+start

First I plan to use the fuel still in the boat from last year. Then start using premium. If the problem continues I will change the spark plugs. The boat cold starts fine and idles fine, just needs some gas to start when warm.

Comment

I run the mid grade, but i do not use ethI run the mid grade, but i do not use ethanol.
                Can you give us more detail.
                Does the boat start ( ideal ) but just losses power after you have been out for a bit(this could be a high pressure fuel pump issue)
                onal.
                Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

When I turn the motor over with the throttle in the idle position the boat starts 1 out of 3 times. If the boat does not start I but it in nutral and give it 1/4-1/2 throttle and it fires up. The motor lags power occasionally but ONLY at low rpms/speed. When I give it power (hole shot) I do not have power problems.

Comment

Clean or replace the IAC, clean the throttle body and butterfly, replace the filter in the idle circuit. and that could cure your problems. Don't destroy the TPS sensor in the process. 20 minute job.

Comment

Working...
                    X