2008 Tige 22VE Throttle Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Tige 22VE Throttle Issues

We were out on the lake boarding yesterday for over an hour. Stopped to switch riders. Started to go again but no throttle response. It will move the transmission into forward and reverse but at idle speed only. Turned on and off several times but still no throttle response. Any ideas?

I just had a very similar issue with my 06 24Ve today. It wouldn't engage forward or reverse and the ear piercing ignition buzzer was going off. I would love some help with this issue as well! Is it mechanical or a sensor of some kind?

Comment

You will get more responses I'm sure but with my 08 22ve this happens when the batteries have not been charged in a while. If you have dual batteries a voltage difference between the two batteries will put boat into a limp mode. I was told this issue was fixed on the 08 models but mine must have missed out. Restarting has always fixed my issue which could mean yours is loose connection or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by majestic View Post
        You will get more responses I'm sure but with my 08 22ve this happens when the batteries have not been charged in a while. If you have dual batteries a voltage difference between the two batteries will put boat into a limp mode. I was told this issue was fixed on the 08 models but mine must have missed out. Restarting has always fixed my issue which could mean yours is loose connection or something else.
        Thanks so much for the tip! This is making sense, as I charged the batteries before we went out and one would only charge to a little over 50%. It had no problems most of the day until the evening. The battery must not be charging correctly from the alternator. I will get a new battery and see if that solves the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by efrickle View Post
          Thanks so much for the tip! This is making sense, as I charged the batteries before we went out and one would only charge to a little over 50%. It had no problems most of the day until the evening. The battery must not be charging correctly from the alternator. I will get a new battery and see if that solves the problem.
          Report back when you swap out. I also replaced the factory isolater with a Blue sea ACR as there was over a 1 volt drop with the isolater in place which maybe was not getting charge to the battery. Haven't seen the issue since with even less battery charging.

Comment

Report back when you swap out. I also replaced the factory isolater with a Blue sea ACR as there was over a 1 volt drop with the isolater in place which maybe was not getting charge to the battery. Haven't seen the issue since with even less battery charging.
            Thanks! Will do. Do you remember what model ACR you used? I've charged the batteries again an they seem to be holding a charge. Makes me wonder if I need to spend the money on new batteries or is it a charging issue. I am going to clean up all the connections on the batteries and test it today. I'll report back.

Comment

Thanks! Will do. Do you remember what model ACR you used? I've charged the batteries again an they seem to be holding a charge. Makes me wonder if I need to spend the money on new batteries or is it a charging issue. I am going to clean up all the connections on the batteries and test it today. I'll report back.
              This one:
              http://www.bluesea.com/products/7610...12_24V_DC_120A

Comment

E,

The issue with the 06 models with the 340 MP engine and the Tige EIDB was neither a battery or charging issue as the the root cause, but they did contribute to the symptom. The problem was that when the EIDB system was done, the engine control module got a voltage reference from each battery. If one battery was lower then the other, which 9 of 10 times it was the house, battery, the ECM would throw a code 81 and go into a limp mode preventing throttle up. Beginning in 06, the Marine Power engines were TBW Throttle By Wire, so this made it easy for the ECM to prevent throttle up. The transmission however, is still cable controlled, so you can still engage forward or reverse.

The ultimate fix is to do a little re-wire so the both the ECM voltage inputs come from the same battery, the main cranking.

Now, with a boat the age of yours, its possible that you are dealing with a TPS issue. Thats the throttle position sensor on the back of the throttle control. It can set the same trouble and put you into the same limb mode, but the cause is just a bad sensor that needs replacing.

Smoke, yours could be a bad sensor as well, did you get any alarms?
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  E,

The issue with the 06 models with the 340 MP engine and the Tige EIDB was neither a battery or charging issue as the the root cause, but they did contribute to the symptom. The problem was that when the EIDB system was done, the engine control module got a voltage reference from each battery. If one battery was lower then the other, which 9 of 10 times it was the house, battery, the ECM would throw a code 81 and go into a limp mode preventing throttle up. Beginning in 06, the Marine Power engines were TBW Throttle By Wire, so this made it easy for the ECM to prevent throttle up. The transmission however, is still cable controlled, so you can still engage forward or reverse.

The ultimate fix is to do a little re-wire so the both the ECM voltage inputs come from the same battery, the main cranking.

Now, with a boat the age of yours, its possible that you are dealing with a TPS issue. Thats the throttle position sensor on the back of the throttle control. It can set the same trouble and put you into the same limb mode, but the cause is just a bad sensor that needs replacing.

Smoke, yours could be a bad sensor as well, did you get any alarms?
                  Thanks for all the info! I think it is the "one battery having lower voltage" problem. Do you know of a wiring diagram online that would make it easy for me to locate both ECM voltage inputs?...or is easy to describe? I did get an alarm. It was the same ear splitting screech it makes when you turn the ignition to on. I am new to boating and obviously Tige. Is that noise normal when turning the key on?

Thanks again!!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I think it is the "one battery having lower voltage" problem. Do you know of a wiring diagram online that would make it easy for me to locate both ECM voltage inputs?...or is easy to describe? I did get an alarm. It was the same ear splitting screech it makes when you turn the ignition to on. I am new to boating and obviously Tige. Is that noise normal when turning the key on?

Thanks again!!
                      I have the diagrams but, I have not attempted. Message me your email and they are all yours.

Comment

Well, I didn't get a chance to buy new batteries, but I did charge them and clean up all the connections to the batteries. Took the boat out today and the alarm went off within 30 minutes of run time. On the way back to the boat launch a second alarm went off. This one was higher pitch and slightly intermittent or pulsating. The tach and hour meter quit working as well. The voltage meter showed between 14 & 15 volts, so the alternator is working. Does this only show the cranking batteries voltage? The battery has no problem starting the engine. I am going to try new house battery and possibly installing an ACR and isolating the ECM inputs to the cranking battery only. Any other suggestions on the second alarm and no tach?? Thanks!

Comment

Batteries replaced, but now I getting a whole new alarm and the motor is popping a code 81. Here is another thread I started. I would appreciate any and all help!
                          http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...0184-Limp-Mode

Comment

Any luck with your throttle problem? I'm stranded with an 07 20V. I bought a new TPS and I'm looking for some tips on the installation. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Replace the potentiometer behind the throttle lever $100 part. Guaranteed to fix issue. Mine did last summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X