exhaust port flaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust port flaps

Is there really any danger of water rushing back into the engine if these are removed? I'm thinking of replacing the ones that are coming on my '04 22v with some stainless or billet angle-cut tips (similar to what mastercraft sells). This is not only for aesthetic reasons, but would eliminate the flapping/rattling sound that the rubber flaps make. Also, I'm thinking it may keep some of the black soot off of the gelcoat.
    Freude am Fahren.

you can hear the rubber flaps flappin? i'll have to listen for that next time i'm out.

and ruune, if you get those flaps cut and they look good, you better save me a pair!

Comment

yeah, I heard them on the 22v demo, plus I dont like restrictive stuff like that...however insignificant. let it breathe! I took them off of some jet skis a while back, because they were slapping 2-stroke soot all over the back of the hull. yeah, yeah I know that 4-strokes dont throw out oil like 2-strokes do, but I still prefer to run w/o the flaps... but thats just me!

Jeffro, you're wanting my flaps?
      Freude am Fahren.

Comment

You may be just fine taking the flaps off, but I don't think that I would take the chance. Look at where the water level is with your boat fully loaded- ballast, people etc. Then look at the low point of the exhaust manifold after it collects, goes up and then down and out the back. My guess is you have maybe 6"-10" of safety before water could get into the engine.

The flaps don't keep water out- they are not tight sealing- but, they keep water from sloshing back. Say you are in a strong river current and have to hit reverse hard. I strongly believe in Murphy's law and would keep the protection against what I believe is inmeasureable performance improvement. But I agree that the chrome tips would look much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruune

Jeffro, you're wanting my flaps?
          uhh....the new stainless ones, make two pair, one pair for me!

Comment

let me see how feasible it is first.
            Freude am Fahren.

Comment

I like that idea, I'd be game for some too

Dom
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

http://www.rexmar.com/page230.html

hmmm... super flappers!
                Freude am Fahren.

Comment

I have the same thing with the rubber flaps slapping and making noise but only at certain speeds. These "super flaps" look stronger and I was curious that would the Steel flap make more noise that the stock rubber ones and to the question about water rushing back into the engine...Water wont rush in when you start up the boat and have it running. Im no genius but Im assuming that water comes in when the boat is not running and when it starts up again all the excess water is just shot back out. I dont know how accurate my answer is...And I was looking through the website and are these steel flaps meant for power/speed boats that are shooting out much more powerful and larger amounts of exhaust and water such as Fountain, Baja, etc. or can they be used on less powerful/different purpose boats such as Tige? Again, Im not exactly sure If I am correct but If these are meant for powerboats, their exhaust sits way above the water rather than in the water. I also noticed that the steel flaps are tipped with rubber to protect scratches which would make the flap float some-what upwards just like the stock ones do. Just to try to clear things up and get new information...

-David
                  www.dallaswakeboarding.com

Comment

From past discussions with Mercury Marine, removing the exhuast flaps voids part or all of your warranty on the motor if water is injested into the cylinders. The biggest concern is if the engine were to diesel (run on and counter rotate) for a second. That is long enough to pull water into an open exhaust valve.
                    Be careful...
                    Greg Denton
                    former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Working...
                    X