Mercruiser 5.7 mpi wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercruiser 5.7 mpi wont start

ive got a 2003 22v with a 5.7 mpi i left the ignition on for 24 hrs and now it will not start. ive charged the batteries but the engine just cranks over with no spark and fuel pumps are not starting
    ive check the fuel pumps by putting a jumper to them and they work
    ive checked all the fuses and they are good
    checked for any loose wires on the harness but they all look good
    any ideas what could be wrong

Smart people will chime in on this. I'm not one of them. In the mean time, yer stuck with me. Sounds like you killed the coil.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

If you haven't tried yet, a short spray of starting fluid will tell you for sure if it is electrical or fuel . Hair spray works in a pinch. I also would suspect coil.

Comment

I've tried starting fluid and didn't work
        I did think the coil but the fuel pump is not purging when you turn the ignition key, would the coil stop the pump working ?

Comment

Originally posted by gavllar View Post
          I did think the coil but the fuel pump is not purging when you turn the ignition key, would the coil stop the pump working ?
          Sure sounds like a fuse or breaker somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by gavllar View Post
            Does the pump turn on at all? Can you hear it?
            Last edited by NICKYPOO; 11-03-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

The pump dose not turn at all

Comment

There's a fuel pump relay on the top of the engine, 1" square, give it a tap or two with the key on and see if it responds. If so, replace with new ($25). How did you check for no spark? Auto stores sell a cheap inline spark checker that lights, start with that. But if still no spark, those motors have an Ignition sensor module inside the distributor that craps out. The coil is easy to check with a $25 cheap one from the store so try that first, then on to the sensor $85. Keep us posted.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                  There's a fuel pump relay on the top of the engine, 1" square, give it a tap or two with the key on and see if it responds. If so, replace with new ($25). How did you check for no spark? Auto stores sell a cheap inline spark checker that lights, start with that. But if still no spark, those motors have an Ignition sensor module inside the distributor that craps out. The coil is easy to check with a $25 cheap one from the store so try that first, then on to the sensor $85. Keep us posted.
                  ...and there's your smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                  X