serpentine belt squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

serpentine belt squeak

Boat is 02 21v with 350 mag mpi ski. Ever since I have owned my boat,it has sounded like an old buick on a cold winters morning. I have replaced the 2 pulleys, The serpentine belt, The belt adjusting bracket ( as I would try and tighten, the teeth on the adjusting nut dug in and made a "stopping point" in the metal of the bracket. Perhaps its just me, but I cant seem to get the belt tight without digging into the bracket and also it seems that the pulley is WAY TOO CLOSE to the bracket when tight. Im trying to tighten, as it seems too loose and squeaks. Maybe I don't have the correct belt? (auto zone matched my old one).. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!??? Maybe its not the belt? Does the Water pump squeak? No water comes out of the weep hole and after an hour of boating, the belt squeak quiets down...

My belt squeeked until it snapped. I assumed it was just old and needed replacement.
    Replaced the belt and the squeek went away! But I had another sounded, and shortly after hearing it the new belt snapped.

It was the bearings on the water pump. Mine didn't leak either...
    Waiting for another good one!

Comment

First off on those mercs the alternator pulley was miss aligned and there was a service bulletin for a spacer. That might be one problem but you would also notice it eating a rib of the belt off.

The second possible cause is the belt your using. I had a similar problem as you and found the belt I was using was just a 6 groove auto belt, and had deep and pointed v's in the rib. The merc oem belt is much flatter. Take your belt back to autozone and have them get you a dayco part#5060880 belt. This is the exact same belt as the merc and it eliminated all my noise.

Comment

thanks for the information... I will give these things a try. Who would I contact about a "service bulletin"? It makes sense that something is mis-aligned. I won't recognize my boat if its not squealing!

Comment

here is the service bulletin: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulle...2003/EN_04.PDF

Comment

Working...
          X