Warning alarm and no throttle at low RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning alarm and no throttle at low RPM's

First of all I wish to say hello to all the fellow Tige owners out there and am hoping you guys can help out. I have a 2006 20i with GMC 340 marine power. Recently while out on the water, the warning alarm has been coming on while cruising at low RPM's. It was not a consistent thing and would do it at times and then at other times it wouldn't. My oil pressure and temp gauges have been in range. Recently while camping out on the water, it has been happening more consistently. It usually will happen while clicking the throttle in and out of gear (the kind of driving you would do around docks and tight quarters). The alarm will sound and I will lose all power out of my throttle while the boat remains on. I turn the key off and back on and it will work for a few seconds and then do it again. Anyone have any ideas what this problem might be?

Originally posted by wake2wake0000 View Post
    First of all I wish to say hello to all the fellow Tige owners out there and am hoping you guys can help out. I have a 2006 20i with GMC 340 marine power. Recently while out on the water, the warning alarm has been coming on while cruising at low RPM's. It was not a consistent thing and would do it at times and then at other times it wouldn't. My oil pressure and temp gauges have been in range. Recently while camping out on the water, it has been happening more consistently. It usually will happen while clicking the throttle in and out of gear (the kind of driving you would do around docks and tight quarters). The alarm will sound and I will lose all power out of my throttle while the boat remains on. I turn the key off and back on and it will work for a few seconds and then do it again. Anyone have any ideas what this problem might be?
    There are some really good threads in here on "limp mode" issues. Youre boat is going into limp mode because there is a code being registered on the comp. It sounds similar to the issues a few were having with the dual battery setup. Im not sure of your setup, but I will see if I can find those threads and post a link.
    So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Yeah, I found a couple of those threads. Now my boat only came with one battery. When referring to the Tige's that come with 2 batteries, do they have 2 batteries with a battery selector or are they just 2 batteries wired in parallel to an on/off switch? Cause I have 2 batteries powering my boat right now but they are just 2 batteries wired in parallel to my on/off switch.
      Last edited by wake2wake0000; 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

How many hours on the boat, sounds like the shifter is either out of adjustment at the helm or the pps sensor is bad.

Comment

It has about 195 hours. After reading every single post on here, it sounds like the potentiometer. I am going to check the voltage when i get home. The throttle being out of adjustment will also cause it to go into limp mode?

Comment

My brother has been having that same problem with his 2006 22Ve. I would love to hear what might help him fix it. thanks
            Work Hard, Play Harder!!!

Comment

There is a cam lever on the shifter that keeps the pps from moving until the shifter is in gear, if the pps moves while going in gear it can trip a code 81 and go into limp mode.
              The lever is adjustable and has to be adjusted so as to not move the pps until shifter moves all the way into gear, this needs to be done with a digital volt meter to watch for any voltage change while moving shifter into gear.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I get off work tomorrow and I am going to give it hell... I will let you guys know what I tried and if anything fixes the problem...

Comment

Ok, one thing I found so far. My tranny fluid dip stick was compleatly loose and wasn't seated in. Does this hold any kind of pressure and will it cause the boat to go into limp mode? I seated it in better. I still think it is the potentiometer but thought I would ask...

On a side note, how do you get to the potentiometer to even work on it??
                  Last edited by wake2wake0000; 06-30-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

No the tranny wont trip any code and you have to remove the handle and vynle pannel to get to the screws that hold the shifter .

Comment

Well, switched out the potentiometer and it is still doing it... I am at a loss here...

Comment

I had this issue! Check your ground cable at your starter. Mine was loose and once I tightened it I have not had the problem. Seem to me that the drop in voltage would confuse the throttle sensor and the boat would go into idle. Not sure if that helps.

Comment

I will check the starter again but I am pretty sure I did that already. Now that I have been thinking about it, it seems like it started doing it about the same time I installed 2 fans to the accessory switch. I don't know why this would trip it but it sure seems like it started to happen right after I did this. Does anyone have any input on this? Could this be a possible cause?

Comment

Limp mode/Alarm

I have read all of your threads. I am having the same problem. I have changed out the Throttle Position Sensor on the back of the throttle. It hasn't helped. I have also purchased a new deep cycle accessory battery. My batteries are not hooked in line, one is for accessories, the other is for cranking. I have disconnected the batteries, and reconnected them. Still has the same problems. I was also told to check the oil levels. I have also taken it to the dealer in Las Vegas, but this didn't help either although they could not get it to sound off while they worked on it. Let me know what you figure out.

Comment

The 06 Marine Power engine has two oil pressure senders T'd on a brass extension in the oil jacket. The large sender is for the gauge and the small is for the sounder. The oil can gum up in the brass extension or the opening of the sender itself. This can cause the senders(s) to see a false low oil pressure and thus sound the alarm.

Pull the senders and brass extension and clean them out with carb cleaner.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                              X