Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acceleration problem

Hello,

I own a 2001 2100V with a Mercruiser 350 engine. Toward the end of last season, I began experiencing a delay in the boats acceleration. When I engage the throttle, the boat seems to be very sluggish until it gets up to a certain speed, then works fine. It seems to do this whether the engine is warm or cold. I'm wondering if anyone with more mechanical aptitude than myself might have any thoughts on what this may be? I'm guessing some sort of fuel delivery issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the site. When you get a chance post some pics of your boat.

Have you changed the fuel filter?

I am sure that others will comments with some good advice.

Comment

First of all, welcome. Secondly, could you describe in more detail the problem: are you experiencing a slowly accelerating engine or does it just seem to pick up speed all of a sudden? Are there any other noises associated with the slow acceleration like backfires or engine misses/stumbling?
      My initial thoughts are the TPS or throttle position sensor. This module is located on the throttle body (looks like a carburetor) and is exactly on the opposite side of the throttle cable. The unit reads the physical throttle position and translates it to the computer which then applies or removes fuel depending on what is required. It's held in place with two screws and is slightly spring loaded when in installed position, so don't be afraid if it pops if and when you take it off.
      There are other possibilities like the ignition pickup in the distributor (change it to the updated version if it hasn't been done already, it also has similar failure sypmtoms to what you are describing), simple fuel filter or fuel line anti-siphon, fuel pump, etc... As much detailed information as you can provide will definitely help us help you.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and your warm welcome to the community!

I haven't noticed a rough idle, backfiring, pinging or any other odd noises. Basically...the RPMs increase, but the boat picks up speed rather slowly until a certain point, then begins to accelerate very quickly. I haven't driven the boat since last September, and can't really recall what RPM or MPH it finally starts accelerating quickly at. It's probably unrelated, but this problem seems to have begun shortly after I broke my old serpentine belt last season and installed a new one...

I just pulled my boat out of storage last week, and am in the process of getting everything ready for the upcoming season. I'll definitely check out the simpler aspects of the fuel system (fuel filter, fuel pump) myself, and maybe have someone more qualified take a look at the TPS. Thank you very much for these potential leads; as a relatively new boat owner and somewhat amateur mechanic, it is certainly appreciated!!

Comment

before you go buying a new TPS take it to your local parts store. The can test this or if you have a muli-meter gauge you can test it yourself. Like others said also take a look @ your cap and rotor button...(most likely the case)

Comment

Originally posted by motoracer98 View Post
            Thanks for the replies, and your warm welcome to the community!

I haven't noticed a rough idle, backfiring, pinging or any other odd noises. Basically...the RPMs increase, but the boat picks up speed rather slowly until a certain point, then begins to accelerate very quickly. I haven't driven the boat since last September, and can't really recall what RPM or MPH it finally starts accelerating quickly at. It's probably unrelated, but this problem seems to have begun shortly after I broke my old serpentine belt last season and installed a new one...

I just pulled my boat out of storage last week, and am in the process of getting everything ready for the upcoming season. I'll definitely check out the simpler aspects of the fuel system (fuel filter, fuel pump) myself, and maybe have someone more qualified take a look at the TPS. Thank you very much for these potential leads; as a relatively new boat owner and somewhat amateur mechanic, it is certainly appreciated!!
            We are having the same problem. Floor it and it stutters for a few seconds then fine. At first I thought it was bad gas, then a warning beep at high RPM on a tight turn made me think transmition. Now not sure after reading about the fuel regulator, fuel filter and other ignition parts. Goning to add fuel stablizer and check the trany fluid this weekend. Does anyone have any other ideas? Tell me what is TPS? Thanks for any help.....Just heard that the beep ment transmition temp too high...
            Last edited by Rossco; 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM. Reason: had to add something

Comment

Originally posted by wakeboarderfil View Post
              before you go buying a new TPS take it to your local parts store. The can test this or if you have a muli-meter gauge you can test it yourself. Like others said also take a look @ your cap and rotor button...(most likely the case)

Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Warning beeps on these Merc engines at speed mean one of 3 things: 1) low oil pressure, 2) high engine temp, 3) high trans temp. If you had the beep during a high speed turn, it happened from low oil pressure as the oil in the pan slung up the side and away from the pickup, had it happen to us same instance. And as Rossco said, test the unit first, forgot to add that as we use the computer for most everything. Unfortunately, this problem can be caused by a myraid of individual items as well as stuff combined so keep us posted and we'll help you through.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

boatwakes the trans fluid was a qt low, barely a reading on the stick. i added to the D where it says DO NOT FILL. All the beeps stoped and was very happy with the preformance. now i can get towing. you guys are great thx.

Comment

Seem to be having a very sluggish start to the year as well. Boat ran like the ballast bags were full and they were not. Had trouble getting on plane without putting taps down.
                    BoatWakes, what is the ignition upgrade, how do I describ it and any suggestions on where to purchase? Anyone, any other suggestions.
                    Thanks

Comment

Hi All,

Long shot, but does anyone know motoracer98 or what the end problem with his Tige was?
                      We're having the same issue, right down to the very fact that this problem started shortly after replacing our serpentine belt too.

Have tried PMing him. Happy ny, thanks in advance.

Comment

Lately it seems like my boat doesn't accelerate as fast as it used to when ballasts are full and pulling up a surfer.

How often am I supposed to change out the spark plugs? Does Seafoam help this? Any other ideas?

It's only got a little over 100 hours on it, but the previous owner didn't use it for 3 years until I bought it this year. Engine is a Raptor 400.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                        X