clunk in v drive just when idling in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clunk in v drive just when idling in gear

Noticed this weekend after running my boat for a couple of days straight that I can hear a clunking noise in the v drive/trans area. It only does in when you first put it in gear and idling. As soon as you give it gas it clears up. Any ideas what this could be?

Possible flex-plate coupler between engine and trans.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do you have a picture by chance of the flex plate coupler or could you tell me what it looks like. This is my first v drive boat and I'm still learning. Thanks

Comment

Ok I found a picture of it in the parts manual. Do you think its just going bad? Is it something I should be worried about?

Comment

Well I think I found my vibration. The prop nut backed off and was resting on the cotter key. I got a new nut, I take it there is no washer that is supposed to go on. Is there a torque spec for it?

Comment

Originally posted by oleblue View Post
            Well I think I found my vibration. The prop nut backed off and was resting on the cotter key. I got a new nut, I take it there is no washer that is supposed to go on. Is there a torque spec for it?
            No washer and I would torque to about 35-45 lb/ft, but the trick is to make sure the prop is fully seated on the tapered shaft.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'm having the same issue on my 2005 22v. When I first put it in gear and am at the lowest amount of throttle I hear a clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk... as soon as I give it more gas it goes away. Any suggestions? My boat has 275 hours.

Comment

my 2005 22v does the same, noticable but not distracting and it goes away completely at anything above idle. I think it is just the nature of the v drives at idle

Comment

Originally posted by dougpaper View Post
                  my 2005 22v does the same, noticable but not distracting and it goes away completely at anything above idle. I think it is just the nature of the v drives at idle
                  Has anyone found the cure to this??? Our boat has never made this noise and just started doing it.

Comment

Any fix to this issue my 2007 20v is doing it too

Comment

Did you guys see the results above? It was the shaft retaining nut to the coupler. Check all hardware in the coupler area is tight because IT IS NOT THE NATURE OF V-DRIVES to make this noise. They should be smooth and quiet. A rattle at idle may also indicate the engine is not running properly. When the engine doesn't run right (usually carbureted but dirty fuel injectors, bad spark plugs etc...) it loads and intermittently unloads the drive plate while in gear at idle but goes away above idle speeds or when not in gear. Inspect all hardware carefully, especially the coupler bolts and shaft retaining nut, they could shear and leave you stranded if they're loose. Again, the rattle should never be there so determine what it is and repair.
                      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                      X