Ignition no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition no power

Hello all thanks for any help in advance. I have a 2000 2100V 5.7 350 Mercruiser Mag MPI. I was winterizing today and replaced the impeller. The impeller pulley was not turning after replacement so I had my wife turn the key so I could watch the belt. She just bumped the ignition then let it go however the starter took on a life of its own. My wife took the key entirely out of the ignition and the starter kept turning. After about 45 seconds of cranking it stopped. I then lost all power to the ignition. I am not too handy with the multimeter but did confirm there is no power to the ignition at all. I have power at the blower, stereo and other toggles in the instrument cluster but no power to the ignition. When you turn the key there is no warning beep and no priming of the fuel pump. I'm wondering if it could have blown a fuse or relay (don't know where to look)? Or if the ignition, starter or solenoid may be bad. I tried to press the 50amp circuit breaker on the engine but it won't press in or pull out??? Not sure if that could be part of it? Anyone know if there is something to check? Does the ignition receive power from the starter or elsewhere? I'm at a loss. Thanks for any help!

At the key on the red wire, it should be constant hot with battery switch on. If no power, the engine fuse/relay panel lost power. Maybe the breaker tripped. Are you sure the starter didn't die?

If the engine kept cranking there was power to the yellow/red wire at key set. Which could be at the starter solenoid. Inspect the little wire off the starter and see if it was touching the big wire.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thank you for your help. No I’m not sure the starter didn’t die. I guess I better pull it, just really hoping that’s not it as those suckers are pricey.
      I can’t find the engine fuse relay panel. And the 50 amp breaker seems to be non functional, I assume it should push in the pop back out. Unless it’s not getting power which it is not.
      I’ll have to get back into the boat in a few days as it seems I have acquired a stomach bug.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Well I think I got lucky. Not sure what this is but removed it and bypassed it and got my power back. Now off to the auto parts store to see if they can help.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-8...a-568793613346

^^it's a fuse

Comment

Replaced and back running! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X