2001 21v Merc Mag MPI - Sputters / Cut's Out Under Heavy Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 21v Merc Mag MPI - Sputters / Cut's Out Under Heavy Load

When surfing with full ballast, it will occasionally cut out or sputter. Any ideas? I've only been running non-e fuel for the last 2 summers.

Replaced in the last year
    fuel pump
    fuel filter
    plugs and wires
    distributor cap and rotor
    distributor sensor (3-wire)
    coil
    fuel tank anti-siphon valve
    fuel injectors

Planning on testing
    MAP sensor
    fuel pressure regulator

I found a couple of pretty good videos on how to test these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGQa...V3OFz-gz72NB0n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWtEmYBoS4g

I tested the MAP sensor and fuel pressure regulator and they check out. However, I got a new fuel pressure gauge (I didn't feel my harbor freight model was giving me accurate readings) and low fuel pressure might be my issue. It's running at around 22-24 psi with the regulator vacuum attached and it jumps to 32 psi when I remove the vacuum which tells me the regulator is doing its job. I need to be at 32 psi or so with the vacuum connected. Since the fuel pump and anti-siphon valve are new, I'm going to check the voltage drop to the pump. If that's OK it almost has to be a clogged fuel line.

Comment

Gumby,

I've read a few different posts that mentioned 30 plus or minus 2 psi. If I had 28, I could rule out fuel pressure.

I didn't find any specs. I just confirmed that the voltage dropped when the vacuum increased. So it's functioning but I suppose it could be out of spec. I guess I assumed if it was a bad sensor, it would be obvious and wouldn't fluctuate at all.

I just checked the voltage drop to the fuel pump and it's only around 0.2 volts on each the positive and negative sides. Well within spec. I was kinda hoping for a large negative voltage drop so I could just fix the pump ground. Oh well, I guess I have to pull the cool fuel system and blow out all of the fuel lines which is the only thing really left to check.

Comment

Well everything checked out. All the lines seemed fine along with the tank vent. While I had the cool fuel system out, I decided to throw the old OEM fuel pump back in. I recently replaced the OEM pump with one from fuelpumpfactory.com while chasing another issue with the engine randomly dying. The OEM pump shows the same pressure. I guess we'll see how it runs next weekend.

Comment

Well, after I put the old OEM fuel pump back in, it ran perfectly. Problem solved for now.

Comment

Working...
          X