Mercruiser 5.7 MPI EFI - lugs and surges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercruiser 5.7 MPI EFI - lugs and surges

I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down the cause of my lugging and surging. I have a 1998 PRE2100WT with Mercruiser 5.7 EFI. I dewinterized it a month ago and ran on the hose for ten minutes to blow out the fog and make sure it ran fine, then changed the oil. I didn't have a fuel filter at the time or quite enough oil, so I waited to change the filter and added a quart of oil.

A couple weeks ago, I changed the fuel filter and topped up the oil. Here's where rushing to get to the lake made things interesting. I forgot to top up the fuel filter with new gas, so it was empty, and I overfilled the oil. Two wrongs /= a right. :-( So we took it to the lake and it started fine, but ten minutes later, it surged a couple times, died and had to be towed back.

The problem is, I've done all the things below, but it still surges a little. It surged a lot after the overfilling, and it seems to be smoothing out, but still runs a little rough. The second time we took it to the lake, it died again. Got it restarted but it still lugs and surges some.
    1. Pulled the spark plugs and cleaned them. They were wet with what I thought was oil after the first time on the lake. I just replaced with new.
    2. Pulled the fuel filter and it looks full. Dumped what was in it into glass jar and refilled with fresh fuel. No water was noted in the glass jar.
    3. Siphoned 5g gas out of the tank and didn't find any water. Have always used ethanol free gas. Stored with blue sta-bil over the winter.
    4. Distributor cap had some green corrosion, so cleaned the rotor and cap. Have a replacement on the way.
    5. Noted some evidence of mice in the engine compartment, so vacuumed it all out and blew out with compressed air. Looked all over for any chewed wires and found none. Noticed the hole between the engine and tranny (the flywheel area?) had evidence of mice. Blew and vacuumed it out through the hole. There's no sensors in there, are there?
    6. Saw a little rust where the throttle body gasket on top of the engine. I have no idea how moisture got to there. I was stored outside but well-covered all winter.
    7. Checked for any chewed wires in the cockpit and found none.
    Thanks for any help and advice narrowing this down.
    Chris

Mine turned out to be coolant temp sensor. Hope that helps someone soon.

Comment

Working...
    X