starter motor issue 22ve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter motor issue 22ve

I have a problem with my 2008 Tige 22ve. Engine will not start, made a spinning noise. My local mechanic took off the starter motor, but the gear was missing (ie somewhere loose in the engine (hopefully not adjacent to the flywheel)). Splines appeared intact. I am suspecting a broken snap ring. As I see, my options to fix this are (1) take apart the engine to find the missing gear with direct visualization (est 12-15h labor), (2) try to fish out the gear with a magnetic flexible rod (3) just replace the starter and take my chances the missing bear will not affect engine operations. Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Well it wouldnt be IN the engine, it would be in the bottom of the bell housing below the flywheel(likely). Im assuming you have a Marine Power 5.7?? I can't remember on those but some GM builds have small cover plates on either side of the engine on the front side of the bell housing. If yours does you could remove the cover and likely fish it out.

Otherwise you could un bolt the coupler and just undo the bell housing and slide the trans/vdrive/and bellhousing back enough to drop it out or find it.

Comment

Thanks, that is helpful. Yes, it is a 5.7 Marine Power. That certainly sounds more sensible (and cheaper) than option (1). Much appreciated.

Comment

So.. I did some fishing and found the missing gear from the starter motor behind the flywheel in the bottom of the bell housing. I used a flexible magnetic rod - took me about an hour, and I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing. Interestingly, the cover plate on the lower rear aspect of the bell housing was/is absent. Next step is to replace the starter and hopefully it will start. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X