help needed diagnosing a "slip" loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help needed diagnosing a "slip" loss of power

First off thanks for those that contribute to this forum, It's helped me immensely iron out some wrinkles on my boat.
    Like some others on the forum I am having a problem with my boat losing power when I have it loaded and I'm making sharp turns. In smooth water and going straight it never slips, but pretty rough water, or especially pulling a tuber aggressively it slips.
    I have a 21i 2002 Tige with the 350 5.7 engine and the velvet drive transmission.
    steps I have done to remedy the problem:
    1. I've changed the fluid in the transmission and checked the levels. There is mention of a bulletin for a different than suggested in the owners manual method for measuring calling for a different level of filling and checking. These link are broken, and I was unable to properly view the bulletin. If someone has an active link to this I'd love to have it. At any rate I've measuring while hot, puting it in forward then reverse and measuring and such, which was suggested in other forum posts to no avail.
    2. It was suggested that it might be prop cavitation, so I inspected the prop, it indeed was dinged, so I was excited this might be the issue, cheaper fix than a new tranny. I replaced it with the prop that acme rep suggested personally for my boat ACME 1231 3 BLADE 13" X 11" PROPELLER. After I put the prop on the boat responds great but still slips in tight turns pulling a tuber.

Has anyone else solved this? Thanks in advance

I definitely experienced the same thing with my 22v when tubing. Changing to a 1617 prop pretty much solved the cavitation. It's been frustrating as we have never experienced it in our 19' American Skier with stock prop. We have been tubing the past several weekends with 3-8 in the American skier and 5 people on 2 tubes no issues and just amazes me that we had issues on the 22v with one person on one tube on the stock prop. I think it has alot to do with the hull design. The Tige leans in a turn the American Skier turns flat.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

So if I understand correctly it may have to do more with hull design and prop, and I'm still getting cavitation, even though I switch to a brand new prop recommended by the president of acme props? Is it is what it is? Should I just turn off my anal button and live with it? who makes the 1617 prop?

Comment

The 1617 most likely won't fit your boat, it's a some what similar prop change from stock as what you did on your boat for my boat. Can you pull hard straight ahead without cavitation or slip? Like a hole shot or pulling up multiple slalom skiers?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X