1998 dies out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 dies out

I have a 1998 350 mericruiser, I have replaced the fuel pump and starter and all new spark plugs. I can start the boat but only when I give it throttle. It will fire for a bit but then it dies out. I can keep it going if I work the throttle, but it seems to not getting enough fuel I can see the injectors working. I have used additive and a new fuel filter to. Any idea??

Assuming its an MPI engine since its a 98. The distributors are known to be a replacement item I'd make sure there is no corrosion on it, as well as spark plug wires. I'd also check timing. It's pretty simple to do on these engines, just put it in the diag mode. If you don't have the tool just jump wires, like this tool would (https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-quick.../dp/B004QJMYIW).
    Always run ethanol free gas too, much much better performing when you do.

Comment

Sounds like your idle air control valve is bad. Will it stay running if you keep the throttle cracked a little?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You said you used additive…. This happened to me after using seafoam for the first time in a while. 1oz/gallon seemed to starve my engine until I flooded the throttle enough to pass it through

Comment

Working...
        X