Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor 400 hydrolock

Hello everybody,
    Wanted to reach out in search of information on the Raptor 400 series engine.
    I have recently acquired a 2017 Tige Z3 with "engine issues" I am heavy equipment mechanic by trade and therefore I like to dabble in engine work myself, however this is the first time I've worked on a marine engine. NOTE* according to the hour meter the boat only has 60 hrs on it.
    This particular engine was hydro locked. Upon inspection and disassembly I poured out about a gallon of water out of the intake manifold and found a bent connecting rod on cylinder #3. Needles to say, I ended up overhauling the engine but now I am curious as how water could have gotten up so high to end up in the INTAKE manifold. I pressure tested the exhaust manifolds and cats ( in search of cracks or possible water ingestion through exhaust valves ) - Both manifolds and cats tested fine ( this still doesn't fully explain to me water getting to the intake but I would figure i would test anyways) Am I wrong to think the only possible way of water getting up that high would be through the actual filter ( flood type situation ) ?
    Has anybody else had or heard of these engines hydrolocking? I called my local Tige dealer to speak to a tech but he didn't really want to talk technical or give out any information. Indmar was even worse ( especially with parts but I feel like I'm too new to rant about it here )

One odd thing I came across while removing the engine was that one of the exhaust cat elbows doesn't seem to have that ball or float or whatever sits in there and prevents water flow back to the exhaust manifold. Right hand side does ( you can shake it and hear it ) but the Left side doesn't. To me that doesnt seem normal but there is no way for that float to make it out of there as the inlet and outlets I would imagine are smaller. Can anyone confirm whether or not both elbows should have that float? Hope im describing it correctly, for the guys that have removed those cats, you must know what I'm talking about. Again, I am new to marine accessory equipped engines.

Any info tips or help as much appreciated. I searched the forum before making this post but came up pretty dry.

Thanks guys

Most likely had full rear ballast and a ton of people on the back with the engine off and water rose over the exhaust.
    Not common with tige but very common on centurion boats with a deep v and a low sitting engine.

Comment

Like UNSTUCK said the rattling is likely Whats left of the cat brick. If you have a borescope pull the post cat o2s and look for the bricks.

Hydrolock was likely from water that came back up the exhaust. EDIT: just re read your post and wondering if the boat didn't take on water or sink due to water in intake.

I'm curious about your Indmar parts issues. Guessing the struggle is they get complete blocks from Ford marine and don't build up bottom ends.
      Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-17-2021, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Where did the boat come from and when did it go on the market?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Most likely scenario, the engine ingested water through the intake, meaning it partially submerged. Look for a scum line on the inside of the hull in hard to reach places near the engine compartment. Freshwater doesn't leave the telltales of saltwater but if it happened that way, they'll be there if you look hard enough.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
          X