Water in ZF 45 IV V-Drive Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in ZF 45 IV V-Drive Transmission

Just picked up a 08 RZ2. After looking it over more, I found the ZF 45 IV v-drive had chocolate milk color fluid in the transmission. It was full up to the dipstick opening. I pumped it out and replaced twice now. I believe it's still getting more water in it.

I'm guessing either oil cooler, or shaft seal are leaking. Any ideas how I test and confirm? I can't seem to find any parts or shop manuals on these transmissions. Or am I screwed and need to buy a new transmission?

Originally posted by kdammen View Post
    Just picked up a 08 RZ2. After looking it over more, I found the ZF 45 IV v-drive had chocolate milk color fluid in the transmission. It was full up to the dipstick opening. I pumped it out and replaced twice now. I believe it's still getting more water in it.

I'm guessing either oil cooler, or shaft seal are leaking. Any ideas how I test and confirm? I can't seem to find any parts or shop manuals on these transmissions. Or am I screwed and need to buy a new transmission?
    It's usually the oil cooler. Only real way to test it to pull it out and fill it up and look for leaks.

Comment

To me it appears it's integrated into the transmission, meaning the cover has to be pulled off the end of the transmission. However I don't want to do it if they don't sell parts. Any idea how to pull it out?

092FDDEE-B880-42AC-B334-2D75C95F0F91_1_201_a.jpeg

Comment

You remove the caps where the inlet and outlet hose are. 4 Allen head bolts in each. Then inside is a big ol brass sleeve you pull out. You'll want to be sure to drain fluids first if you are going to pull the cooler out.
        Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-08-2021, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Awesome good to know. Any idea if sleeves are available if I find this one to be bad?

Comment

Originally posted by kdammen View Post
            Awesome good to know. Any idea if sleeves are available if I find this one to be bad?
            Never had to replace one. The bigger thing is replacing the Orings/seals after you take it apart.

I use Mike at Harbor Marine in WA for all my trans/vdrive needs. I haven't been able to stump him yet.

Comment

After more use I believe I have a leaking output shaft seal. The transmission fluid has remained clear red since installing a center bilge pump. Which leaves me to believe water was leaking in through the output shaft or the cooler tube seals. Any way to tell for sure where it's leaking? It's difficult to feel with a paper towel because it's usually wet with water down there.

Edit: found some fresh looking fluid near the breather. Hopefully that's my issue.
              Last edited by kdammen; 07-18-2021, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I had a similar problem, and I thought that the integral cooler had to be the culprit. Turns out that one of the hoses going to the external trans fluid cooler had been rubbing the threaded part of the triducer in the bilge and wore through. You may want to check that before taking that V drive apart!

Comment

The transmission fluid has remained clear red since I flushed it earlier this summer. I think it may have just been very old fluid. I'm not sure the previous owner knew the v-drive had separate fluid. Perhaps just years of sitting in deep water was enough to leak some past the seal?

I had some rainbows coming out on the ramp, but since draining the fluid down a little I haven't seen it come out the breather again. Hopefully this is solved.

Comment

Working...
                  X