Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine power G force fuel filter stuck

Hey guys,

I’m trying to change my marine power 340hp fuel filter that’s located in a canister that’s screwed onto the high pressure fuel pump. I have tried like hell to get it off. I’ve even removed the entire high pressure fuel pump & canister from the boat and got in on a vice. I still can’t get the canister to unscrew with my cloth strap wrench with a 1/2” socket connected. I broke the Amazon strap wrench trying to do so.

Is there any trick to this? What’s the most heavy duty cylinder wrench I can use to get this thing to break loose?

Got the filter off... hadn’t been off for a while!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Damn dude!! Be sure to heavily grease the o-rings on the filter housing for easy removal next time.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

How did you get it off. Same problem. Have it at home now will try a vise to hold it. What did you turn it with?

Comment

Use 2 strap wrenches in tandem (above and below each other) available at a hardware store. Filter housings which have never been removed are the worst and a serious amount of elbow grease will be required.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by paulct View Post
            How did you get it off. Same problem. Have it at home now will try a vise to hold it. What did you turn it with?
            A large chain wrench got it off no problem. Good luck.. my amazon cloth strap wrench was no match for it.

Comment

I got the amazon wrench to finally work. Had to tap it with a hammer to break the corrosion as i turned. A tip from a old mechanic. If it does not move hit it harder, lol

Comment

That’s a good idea I should have used

Comment

Definitely buy a chain wrench. It's a bear to get off.

Comment

Used a Chain Clamp (wrench) from Harbor Freight ($15) this past weekend -June 2024- and it came right off. Oil filter wrench and / or straps won't even budge it, and will break long before the canister will move. A couple words of advice: 1) If it IS stubborn, and it likely will be, go the extra step of dismounting it from the engine. The added work bench leverage is worth it. Besides, if leaving it on the engine, you run the risk of damaging nearby hose and wire connections while fighting to get the canister off. Be sure to use only a RUBBER mallet when tapping around the screw seam to loosen it / break corrosion while turning. 2) When remounting, use A LOT of graphite lubricant on the bolts and canister threads for ease of removal next time, also silicone on the O-ring.
                    Last edited by lcdyle; 06-11-2024, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X