Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 22v, Boat wouldn't start on water today. Starter needs replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 22v, Boat wouldn't start on water today. Starter needs replacing?

Hey all, today on the water my 2005 22v turned over really slow after a couple hours of fun. I have 2 batteries and both are good, they are brand new and fully charged and I checked the volts before hitting the water. Both Interstate cranking batteries with 800 CC amps, the same the boat had before.

After one slow engine start, I killed the engine later and when I tried to start it again I couldn't get any response. Tried jumping off another boat if the alternator wasn't charging them for the 2 hours on the water, nothing.

I hit the starter with a hammer and got a grinding sound out of it when I tried to turn it over but no dice. I checked the large cable to the starter from the perko switch and it was clean. All connections on batteries to perko were fine too.

This leads me to believe it's a bad starter.. especially with the grinding after hitting it with a hammer.. maybe why it was starting slow before it completely wouldn't turn??

Anyways, I want to order a new one and replace it myself but I want to confirm the part number and get a brand that you guys recommend.

Marine Power 340hp engine, the MP part is 475106 I think? Can anyone recommend a good brand to replace this?

Sounds like the starter is bad. I would just check your voltage on the battery cable attached to the starter. Should be 12-14 volts all the time. Then check the excite wire on the solenoid. It should be 12-14 volts while cranking only. I'm no help with part numbers.

Comment

Block mounted starter is Mercruiser P/N #50-863007A1. Top mount (at the back of the engine on the transmission) is Mercruiser #50-808011A05. It does not matter if your engine is MP, the starters are the same. DO NOT PURCHASE THE CHEAP CHINESE STARTER FROM THE INTERNET. We've had customers do that and those starters have a subpar nose gear C-clip retainer that busts off and shoots the nose gear into the bellhousing. Then you're stuck on the water again. FYI, if you have a block mounted starter, you must replace with the same even though there's a place to put the starter in the bellhousing. The ring gear on the flywheel must be changed first if you want to change the starter location to top mount and that requires engine removal.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
        Block mounted starter is Mercruiser P/N #50-863007A1. Top mount (at the back of the engine on the transmission) is Mercruiser #50-808011A05. It does not matter if your engine is MP, the starters are the same. DO NOT PURCHASE THE CHEAP CHINESE STARTER FROM THE INTERNET. We've had customers do that and those starters have a subpar nose gear C-clip retainer that busts off and shoots the nose gear into the bellhousing. Then you're stuck on the water again. FYI, if you have a block mounted starter, you must replace with the same even though there's a place to put the starter in the bellhousing. The ring gear on the flywheel must be changed first if you want to change the starter location to top mount and that requires engine removal.

I have a black mounted starter. It’s on the port side near the front of the engine. Here is a photo of it.

I compared my starter to your part #’s photo and they look a little different... I did find this starter online that replaces what I believe my part number is. Are you familiar with this one? I’m not sure if it’s one of the cheap Chinese ones but I don’t want that.

https://marinepartssource.com/454-ma...IaAlqTEALw_wcB

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X