Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer broken, Faria Commander, 2005 22V

Hey guys,

I've been trying to diagnose and fix my speedometer (Faria Commander) on my recently purchased 2005 22v. My Tachometer works well, and my speedometer depth seems to work fine. The lights on the speedometer work fine as well. When I start the boat, the speedometer needle resets itself either on 30mph or 10mph. It's not consistent. When I start driving and gain speed, the needle starts to move and usually gets stuck maxed out around 50mph. Overall, the needle does respond to speed but just movs erratically. The needle seems to always progress, and never come back. So in a short while it's soon maxed out and stays there until I turn the key off and on.

I tried calibrating the speedo in accordance to the Faria commander user manual, and it does not let me calibrate how the manual says it should work.

I checked the paddle wheel under the boat and it seems to move freely and isn't damaged. I also bought and installed the Nauticlogic gps conversion and this did not fix the needle on my speedo. I installed the Perfectpass patch cable from nauticlogic and wired it into my speedset cruise control with help from the nauticlogic guys and my speedset now works... a step in the right direction!! So, to me this points me to a faulty gauge... Is that reasonable?

Thanks to anyone for their time.

Sounds like the gauge is toast. Faria no longer makes the commander gauge so you will have to go with a different gauge (faria chesapeake for example) and add a depth gauge as well. Remember that the speed signal is a pulse so the paddle wheel would never kick out a higher speed pulse unless it was really pulsing that fast. This is why I feel your gauge is bad/has issues. Be sure its not something like a bad ground/connection.

Me personally, I would pull the gauge apart and see if it can be oiled. Maybe it's just sticky. I haven't had a commander gauge in my hands in years so I am assuming a lot here.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

I actually found a faria commander gauge on eBay so I bought it... when it comes in I’ll update how it goes. I agree with you, because the needle is going so high, it makes me think the whole gauge is bad.

Comment

Update: the new gauge is in and working just fine off the Nauticlogic. It must have just been a bad gauge all along.

Comment

Working...
        X