Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 22v, recently purchased, Taps not functioning

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and boating. I just bought my first boat, a 2005 Tige 22v with 370 hours on it. The guy who sold it to me sold it with a non functioning Taps system, as well as a few other minor features that need fixing.

I'm most concerned with the Taps system for now.. and could use a little diagnosing the problem and learning where to start looking. When I press the Taps button on my throttle while driving I see the battery voltage gauge jump around. Does this tell me anything? The person who sold it to me told me that the electric motor for the Taps needs to be replaced, and then it should work.

Thank you for anyone's time with this.

Hey all.. so Jumping in the boat and digging around, I saw there was a line from the taps plate on the back of the boat leading to this little device in a plastic box on the starboard side. This is a "Bennet v351" electric/hydraulic motor that pushes the Actuator cylinder which raises and lowers the taps plate.

I pulled out the Bennet v351 and tested the motor with a 12v car battery to get the leads. There is a green wire which operates the valve, and this worked. The motor (yellow and blue) wire for forward and reverse did not work. They simply sparked instead of making the motor operate, which indicates I need to replace the unit.

So, I just bought a new unit at $250 and hopefully that fixes the problem. Hopefully the taps gauge works along with the plate when the motor comes in. Currently the gauge is stuck on 7, which means it could work because the taps plate is physically stuck on 7.

I will update when I replace the unit with the new one to help anyone out in my situation.

Comment

Good luck. On my old boat, just about everything else failed with the taps system, but I never had issues with the pump. It was low on fluid when I got it and had sucked some air. Just need to fill and bleed. Then rebuild both cylinders.

Comment

Mine was full on fluid.. perhaps from the owner before me. I hope I don't have to go after the taps cylinder and the gauge after this motor replacement. Behind the dash is pretty intimidating with how many wires are going everywhere, with several loose or disconnected.

Comment

Hey guys, so the new bennet motor fixed the taps plate and now the plate moves up and down when I toggle the switch on the throttle! This is a big step because my boat was bobbing pretty bad at high speeds, hopefully this fixes that. The taps gauge still doesn't work, but I will tackle that problem next.

It doesn't seem like a ton of movement, maybe 25-35 degrees. Is this it's normal operating range?

Comment

Seems about right on the movement.
            The gauge runs off a set of windings in one of the cylinders. First thing to check is that the wire is intact all the way from the cylinder to the gauge. It's very small gauge wire (24 probably) so it's prone to getting broken.

Comment

I pulled both green sensor wires off the gauge and checked the Ohms, getting 230-240. Must be the gauge needing to be replaced then I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Majr808 View Post
                I pulled both green sensor wires off the gauge and checked the Ohms, getting 230-240. Must be the gauge needing to be replaced then I think.
                If you are getting 240ohms at the dash then the coil is good. Double check your power and ground to the gauge before you swap it. The gauges should still be available, they just may not be in the exact color you have now.
                Oh Yeah!

Comment

I was wrong.... the ohms are just reading 1, this is the case at the taps gauge and close to the actuator. I’ve been back and forth with Bennett on this and they’ve concluded I need a new actuator. Just a process finding a source for this old part #...TIGSA4015C

Comment

Update.. my taps plate and gauge are now working great!

the sender on my actuator was the reason the gauge didn’t work. I ended up replacing it with Bennett’s current actuator sensor upper hinge and just putting it on the existing Bennet actuator cylinder. I had to cut the metal rod in the cylinder to make it fit how the original did. But it works. Maybe this helps someone in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Majr808 View Post
                      Update.. my taps plate and gauge are now working great!

the sender on my actuator was the reason the gauge didn’t work. I ended up replacing it with Bennett’s current actuator sensor upper hinge and just putting it on the existing Bennet actuator cylinder. I had to cut the metal rod in the cylinder to make it fit how the original did. But it works. Maybe this helps someone in the future.
                      Perfect! Glad you caught the rod was a different length.
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                      X