2000 21v with 350 mag high idle issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 21v with 350 mag high idle issues.

We bought this boat a couple months ago, it looks great and runs great. Sometimes but not all the time when coming off the throttle it won’t idle down the 600 where it should be. Also occasionally when in neutral it will be idling fine then shoot up to 1000 or sometimeS a little higher. If I shut the boat off and re start it, most of the time it corrects its self. I have checked the throttle cable and also replaced the IAC. Could it be the throttle position sensor? Thanks to all who reply!!

Comment

Hi Jerry. I've got the same boat and it's also our first season with her.

I have not had the idle issue you're describing but I do seem to have some sort of mechanical issue. After running the boat for a few hours I shut off the engine while we switched over to tubing. Went to fire the boat back up and…nothing. Completely dead. Battery was fine (gauges, Taps, bilge, radio were all working) but engine was not giving me anything, no noise. Eventually we got back to dock and took a break for lunch.

After some very uneducated tinkering (battery charging, taking off the air filter, attempting to start with the throttle open, and unscrewing cap on fuel rail) it started back up. Ran the rest of the day, no issues. When it finally did start it was right after I took the fuel rail cap off, but I'm not sure if that really has anything to do with it. I've had this issue one other time, but once it starts it runs great. However now I'm scared to turn the boat off unless I'm at the dock and it's something we need to properly diagnose.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but since it's the same boat/year thought I'd post here.

Comment

When it shoots up, can you actually hear the engine change or is the gauge just showing it? I have the same boat and had the same problem. My RPMs in idle were way too high. After a little panic and tinkering, I realized that the engine sounded like it should. Turns out it was just the gauge getting stuck. Tapping on it fixed it.

Comment

I can actually hear the engine idle up.

Comment

If you've checked the throttle cable and changed IAC Im wondering if you have a vacuum leak. When its idling normally you can spray some brake clean along the edges of the intake manifold and if RPMs pickup you have found a leak. Also check the base of the throttle body at intake but be sure you are spraying it straight into flame arrestor.

Comment

I recently bought a 2003 22V and had a similar issue. However, I did a number of things that may have fixed the issue but I'm not sure exactly which one fixed it. First, I had to change the PerfectPass servo because it was frozen so when reinstalling the new one, adjustments to the throttle cable could have fixed it. Also, I lubed up the throttle cable connections at the throttle body. Last, I cleaned out the IAC and throttle valve and made sure everything was moving nicely. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
              X