Signs of a starter going bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signs of a starter going bad?

Dropped the boat in the water yesterday and went to fire her up but no joy - got the usual lights, alarms, and pump runs with the switch in the "ON" position, but when moving to "START" there was no click at the starter. TT screen and gauges went off (like usual as I recall) during start attempt then came back on. Moved the battery switch to combine but got the same results. Checked connections and voltage at the cranking battery (~12.5) and at the starter (~12.4) with a tester. Tried jumping at the cranking battery - same results. Whacked the starter a few times with a wrench and she fired up, although not with its usual gusto. More like a half-hearted start... like maybe low amperage? Both batteries are less than a year old - no issues the last time out 2 weeks ago. I put both batteries on a charger for a few hours, but again got the same results when attempting to start. Tapping on the starter worked several times during testing, but always with a less than enthusiastic effort from the starter. Is it dying? Could something else cause it? Anything else to try before ordering a new starter? Thanks in advance.

Boat is a 2013 Z1 with PCM 343 (~285 hours)

I always love hitting someone's starter and having it work. Like I'm some kind of magician. One time I was able to kick my boss's fuel tank in his truck which caused enough vibration to loosen his fuel pump and get him running (right to the repair shop).

So yes, order a new starter. Or just pull it out and match it up at your local auto parts house. Probably a mid 90's Chevy truck will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post

So yes, order a new starter. Or just pull it out and match it up at your local auto parts house. Probably a mid 90's Chevy truck will do the trick.
      PCM 343 will have a top mount starter. Also, would NOT use an automotive grade starter. You can find the starter you need at Nautiqueparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

PCM 343 will have a top mount starter. Also, would NOT use an automotive grade starter. You can find the starter you need at Nautiqueparts.com
        Thanks for the feedback... mine is on the starboard side and is what appears to me to be a bottom mount? So, starboard / lower / forward position if that makes any sense. This would be my first starter remove/ replacement so sort of a noob here.

Comment

Would have to see a picture to confirm but if its on the starboard side underneath the remote oil filter that is considered a top mount. Bottom mount in your configuration(Vdrive) would put the starter on the port side way underneath the exhaust manifolds.

Comment

Would have to see a picture to confirm but if its on the starboard side underneath the remote oil filter that is considered a top mount. Bottom mount in your configuration(Vdrive) would put the starter on the port side way underneath the exhaust manifolds.
            Yes, that is the location - thanks for clarifying. Seems a little premature for this thing to be dying already, but if this is all it is I'll take it.

Comment

Do you religiously pull bilge plug when on the trailer?? Is it marina/slip/lift stored??

Comment

It is stored covered on a lift at my dock - previous owner stored in an enclosed storage unit. Rarely any water in the bilge - always empty what may get in there as the lift is coming up. Starter looked almost new from what I could see of it.

Comment

Sometimes the collar on your year PSS walks up and leaks. Id check to make sure you dont have a leak there. Beyond that I'd say just bad luck on the starter. It happens

Comment

Thanks. I will check that when I get back to the boat. Will try to verify a part number as well.

Comment

https://www.nautiqueparts.com/produc...ount-mid-2011/

Fairly certain this is your guy even tho its labeled as a ZR series starter. Will try and look on the parts shelf tomorrow to verify. Hopefully we have one in stock

Comment

fwiw our old 22ve with pcm 343 had a bad starter when we sold it. boat was a 12 and sold in 17 with 150hrs.
                        5ish years or 150+ must be the life span...
                        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Thanks again freeheel4life . Well sandm that makes me feel a little better anyway!

Comment

No problem. The link provided is the same PN as the starters on my PCM shelf so I'm 99%sure thats your guy.

Comment

Also, would NOT use an automotive grade starter. You can find the starter you need at Nautiqueparts.com
                              This is a safety issue right? Marine starters are designed to reduce risk of a spark from catching gas fumes on fire, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X