How to replace Mercruiser Cool Fuel System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace Mercruiser Cool Fuel System

For those of you experiencing the low fuel pressure woes caused by failed fuel pumps from EPA mandated ethanol gasolines, here's the how-to on pump and regulator replacement for most EFI Mercruiser engines through serial 0M398371. Mods should sticky this one please.

After determining your fuel pressure is not or cannot hold the required 32psi +- 2psi, locate your cool fuel module on the engine forward motor mount, engine port side. Its a neat black box, rectangular in shape. Grab the plastic tab on the middle bottom of the box and remove the cover, exposing the pump and hose connections. Disconnect the battery negatives AT THE BATTERIES and wrap them prior to starting this job. Inadvertent sparks while performing this repair will end poorly for all involved.

I cannot recommend enough to purchase OEM. Cheap pumps will initially work and then leave you stranded. Buy OEM parts for this job or you will throw good money after bad.

Plan on purchasing the brass fuel fitting connection at the fuel pressure regulator, Mercruiser P/N (#22-808002A1), for an additional $30. It will be a lifesaver if the old one breaks during removal, which they usually do.

1) Disconnect water inlet and outlet water hoses (you will most likely need a hose removal tool, those bastards are welded in place)
    2) Disconnect the fuel line inlet to the fuel/water separator and plug with a 3/8" bolt, tying the hose as high in the bilge as possible to keep fuel from siphoning
    3) Plug or cap (whatever is required) the fuel inlet to the filter. The filter and housing will be unbolted and dragged through the bilge and if its not plugged or capped, gas will end up in the bilge.
    3) Unbolt the filter housing from the mount and replace the nuts back on their studs once the filter housing is removed. LEAVE THE OTHER 2 FUEL LINES ATTACHED!!!
    4) Disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel pump regulator on top of the fuel pump
    5) At the top of the engine port side fuel rail next to the distributor, disconnect the high pressure fuel line being aware of the hard line tubing, brass inverted flare fuel nut and making sure to use the correct size open end wrench so as not to compromise their ability to seal when re-installed. Gasoline spraying from this area is bad. Have multiple rags ready to catch the fuel draining from the fuel rail when the nut is loosened.
    6) Disconnect the electrical connection at the fuel pump.
    7) Unbolt the pump from the motor mount. It is held in place with 2 nuts, 9/16" hex heads.
    8) Drag the whole apparatus, fuel lines and fuel filter out of the boat.
    9) Remove the pump and cooler assembly from the housing making sure to not get any white heat dissipating grease on your skin, it burns like bad things.
    10) If you did not buy a new brass fitting that goes into the fuel pressure regulator you will have to remove the existing unit and hope it does not break. Disconnect its corresponding fuel hose and then disconnect the fitting, keeping the copper crush washer with it to reuse too.
    11) Assemble the new pump using o-rings and grease supplied in the cooler kit. This is also where OEM gives you the correct stuff.
    12) Install the new fuel pressure regulator making sure the tiny screen is installed in the copper tube prior to bolting down the regulator. If you have questions on orientation, look at the old one because you'll need the screws from the old pressure regulator.
    13) Install the brass fitting in the pressure regulator.
    14) Install the pump and fuel cooler making sure to use grease on the water drain plastic plug and o-ring. Use the supplied heat dissipating white grease on the pump too just don't touch it without gloves.
    15) Install back on the engine, reverse of removal.
    16) Bleed the fuel rails by allowing the fuel pump to pressurize and bleed the air out at the fuel pressure test port (lots of rags required to catch gas).
    17) Look, listen and smell for gas leaks. It's very important to not have any leaks after completing the job.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

How hard is it to drag the fuel/water separator through the bilge and out the starboard side? It doesn't look like there is a lot of room to fish it through.

Comment

Another option is to remove the fuel lines from the filter and make sure to keep them clean when you pull them through.

Comment

boatwakes, do you have the part number for the pump you use? My system uses the G-force Front mount system and I can't seem to find someone who has a replacement. I'm trying to get in to change the filter, but it won't break free. I don't want to attack it unless I know I can get a replacement. I believe my system has two pumps. I'm not sure how to describe but I think one separates water and is low pressure and the other is an electric high-pressure pump.

Comment

Thanks for the great write up! I just pulled mine out. I ended up taking the fuel filter off. I couldn't find anything to plug the inlet, plus I didn't know if there was room to fish it under the engine. Turns out you can just slide the lines and filter to the rear under the impeller pulley and it probably wouldn't have been a problem. One more note...the plastic cover doesn't have to come off until the whole unit is out of the boat. It's a tight space and I couldn't get it off until I realized the mounting nuts are on the outside and the cover can remain. Fairly straight forward job with this write up.

Comment

Lex, you have a different pump completely but I'm familiar with your plight. Use 2 separate strap wrenches together on the filter housing to break it free and be sure to grease the o-ring when you reassemble. If you want to replace your high pressure pump, it's part number 438704Z and can be found here https://marineenginedepot.com/fuel-p...e-marine-power.

Comment

Sorry about the different pump. Thanks for the 2 strap idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a great write up and really hope it makes it as a sticky.

New kid at the shop was bound and determined to change the pump without removing the whole unit the other day(told him to just take the engine mount nuts off and fuel lines and drag it out). He managed to do it in the boat. Only took him 2.5 hours lol....

Comment

I know it's off-topic, but boatwakes thanks for the advice, I got 2 straps on it with the vice and got it off. It wasn't easy.

Comment

Like boatwakes said, lube the oring and keep servicing it and you won't have that problem again in my experience. Especially if you put it back together with just enough torque to seat the o ring

Comment

Great guide. It is really appreciated.
                      Currently rebuilding mine today with new parts.

the old screen is missing between the regulator and cooler. How should the new screen be oriented?

Comment

The cup of the screen should go into the cooler housing.

Comment

Placing this for the second time: the first time it was not approved, new user. If double post, I will delete.

This thread is a couple of years old, but I remember reading it when it came out even though I was NOT a member of this forum. I was just looking at replacing the fuel pumps in question. I ended up "not" replacing the cool fuel system pump, only the boost pumps, because I couldn't reach them. Now I have to....

Can someone Please explain why the OP stated to disconnect the high pressure fuel line "At the top of the engine port side fuel rail next to the distributor", and NOT where it bolts on with one little (special-looking) bolt on the cooler itself?

Another poster on this same thread (chopper515) attached a picture of how "he" removed the whole assembly, including the brackets holding everything as one. On that picture, there "is" a way to unscrew the top. You can see the hexagonal shape at the end. On my boat (05 3560 Regal with twin 8.1 Horizon inboards) there is no bolt (I do know this design with the bolt, the oil coolers have it, but this hose doesn't). I am trying to attach a picture, but this looks like an older style forum where I can't attach without an URL, which I don't know how to do, nor ever did. Bummer.

I "am" replacing the cooler kit along with the pump. Why can't I just unscrew that one little screw (on the photo that chopper515 attached)? Is this hose very finicky and needs to be replaced each time the cooler is replaced?

Comment

Christi,

I'm honestly not sure why you couldn't disconnect it at the cooler. I wasn't replacing the whole unit so it was either/or for me. I never disconnected this line on the cooler end because it was much easier to pull the whole unit by easily disconnecting it at the fuel rail which is much more accessible.

Regarding pics, click the image icon, then click the upload tab at the top.

Comment

Hi chopper,

Your reasoning makes sense. I would have thought the same way regarding detaching the entire fuel line that way. Evidently the fuel line connector that's on my boat is a Push Lock fuel line fitting. I saw a couple of videos on how to remove those (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnFDRwVmDNU). New information for me, certainly.

Did you do anything with the blue petcock that is on the bottom of the cooler at the end, after your replaced the fuel pump? I can't figure out why this is here, except for draining water before touching the oil coolers, perhaps?

I'm on salt water, so I'm also wondering if the little screw (on the image, right above the o-rings), is actually a sacrificial zinc? - It seems to come with all fuel cooler kits, but when I try to place it on the cooler itself, it doesn't fit anywhere.

My old cooler kit pretty much disintegrated from the salt water where that blue petcock attaches and it's bugging me that if this screw is indeed a zinc, it will not be installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X