Problems on first time out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems on first time out

I just bought a 2000 21V a couple of weeks ago from out of state. I had an inspection done on it, but not a lake test. After having it shipped to me, I did a little maintenance (oil change, fuel filter change, sealed swim step) and got it on the water for the first time today. Went great for 30 minutes, then had some issues. I remembered that I needed to run the bilge pump because it had rained a few days ago while it was parked in my driveway. After running the pump for 5 minutes, there was still water in the bilge, so I took a look at the engine. I saw water flowing forward of the engine. It was moving from port to starboard and looked like it was coming out of a hose or something at the bottom of the boat. The pump wasn't emptying the bilge because more water was coming in. The water kept flowing when the engine was off. I drove the boat back home and put it on my lift (my house is next to a brackish water lagoon). Once I got it on the lift, but before raising it, I killed the engine. Then, realized I needed to restart it to adjust the position on the lift. When I turned the key, nothing happened. The starter didn't do anything. I did check to make sure it was in neutral. Ended up pushing it into position and getting it on the lift and lifted out of the water. I got the water out of the bilge, but the engine still won't start. The accessories (stereo & bilge pump) do work, so I don't think it's a battery issue.

So, I'm trying to figure out what the leak is and why my engine won't start. Any ideas on how to start checking and eliminating possible sources of both problems? I did do a little searching on the forum and suspect it could be the shaft seal. Thanks for any help. I'm a first time boat owner. Somewhat mechanically enclined, but certainly no expert.

Welcome to the site. Sorry about your problem. I would first suspect the shaft seal as well. Does it have a big white plastic nut on it? Maybe a engine drain plug left out?
    Can you get a picture of your prop shaft.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Drain plugs in? I have one at the back and one in the middle (Direct Drive) so maybe there is one under yours?

Kill switch okay? Breakers on dash popped out?

Is the fuel pump turning on with Key on?

Comment

Figured out it was definitely the shaft seal causing the leak. I called PYI (company that makes PSS seals) and got some instructions on how to take it apart, clean the two faces, and put it back together. Hoping that works. I added a few pics.

How would I check if the kill switch is okay? Or if the fuel pump is turning on with the key? Are the little black rubber things on the dash the breakers? I'm really not sure how those work or if I know they are popped out. They all seem to be related to accessories like the blower, lights, etc, not really the engine.

Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

I ended up getting the shaft seal working. I'm going to post some info I got about the PSS seals on another thread. Starting issue turned out to be not having it in neutral. It's farther back then I thought. User error! Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X