Mercrusier 350 EFI Fuel Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercrusier 350 EFI Fuel Problem

2002 Tige 22i. I was towing my son wakeboarding when the engine stopped running. Towed into shore and could not get it strated. I could here the fuel pump when I turned the ignition on. I removed the fuel hose going from the tank to the fuel filter and kicked over the engine. Some gas came out of the fuel filter. I put the hose back on and the boat started. The next day same problem. This time I tried removing the same fuel line hose to the fuel filter and when I kicked it over no gas came out of the fuel filter. Put the hose back on and it did not start. I switched the fuel filter relay with the same relay for some other functions and that did not help. I checked to make sure the Mer Cool fuel pump was getting voltage and it was when the ignition was turned on. I them removed the fuel filter and noticed taht it was almost empty. I filled with gas and the engine started. Any ideas as to my problem. Do I have a bad line from the fuel tank to the filter? Is there a sending unit in the tank?

Did you check the fuel tank anti-siphon valve?
    The hose connection at the fuel tank has a check ball in it to prevent fuel leaks into the bilge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Does it run now?
      If it does, the next time this occurs, take the cover off the MerCruiser Cool Fuel box surrounding the fuel pump. Stuff ice around the exterior of the fuel pump. See if that does it....

It is one of the ways get mine running. This only occurs at Lake Powell,,I replaced the fuel pump last year,,,same problem. Their is a MerCruiser write up or Alert on this...

You can also pull the drain plugs on the engine block....and then return the plugs and let fresh cool lake water circulate,,,the ice thing is the fastest in my struggles...

Comment

I haven't seen the fuel vapor lock happen while riding. It usually happens after a hot soak condition, resulting in the engine turning over, but not restarting until the engine cools down again. Like teachercop explained.

R&T, good call on trying the anti-siphon valve.

How about the fuel regulator?
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
          I haven't seen the fuel vapor lock happen while riding. It usually happens after a hot soak condition, resulting in the engine turning over, but not restarting until the engine cools down again. Like teachercop explained.

R&T, good call on trying the anti-siphon valve.

How about the fuel regulator?
          If it was the fuel regulator, you'd hear series of 3 beeps every minute or so.

R&T's guess is the more likely candidate.

teachercop, I've found that running the blower also helps, but we don't quite get the temps you do on Lake Powell.

The ice suggestion is a good one.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I also changed out the pressure regulator.....none of the R&R of parts helped my cause. It is true I have never seen the issue surface during a run,,,it is the heat soak however see if you can cool the fuel such as the ice suggestion,,,see what happens........

Comment

Teachercop, I also found that letting the boat idle for a minute or two after a hard run helped cool it down before I turned it off.

This year I am trying the Marine Ethonal fuel sta-bil product in my gas tank. We'll see how it holds up at Lake Powell in a couple of weeks?
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by R&T Babich View Post
                Did you check the fuel tank anti-siphon valve?
                The hose connection at the fuel tank has a check ball in it to prevent fuel leaks into the bilge.
                Where do I get a replacement anti-siphon valve? I think I have a leak in the line under the tank and want to go head and replace the valve at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                X