gel coat restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gel coat restoration

http://poliglow-int.comI was wondering if any of you guys/gals have tried this product. The back of my boat was fadded pretty bad when i bought it i buffed it out but its back to fadded. I was going to wetsand as a last resort.But have read some good reviews about this stuff.Or do you think wetsanding is the only answer.

Originally posted by kko View Post
    http://poliglow-int.comI was wondering if any of you guys/gals have tried this product. The back of my boat was fadded pretty bad when i bought it i buffed it out but its back to fadded. I was going to wetsand as a last resort.But have read some good reviews about this stuff.Or do you think wetsanding is the only answer.
    I would go the wets sanding route first. I went with polyglow on my last boat and was not happy with the quality of the shine. From 5 feet away you could tell there was a coating on top of the gel coat. I ended up stripping it off and buying a buffer and spending the weekend using progressively finer grit pads until I got the shine back to where I was happy with it. As they say nothing good in life comes easy and this is definitely one of those things.

The good thing about the poly glow is that it does come off fairly easy if you are not happy with the outcome. Just a little lighter in the wallet.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    2000 Tige 2100V Sold

Comment

My neighbor has an older CC fishing boat and polyglowed it. Looks way better then faded gelcoat, but not nearly as nice as the elbow grease route of wet sanding and buffing. Plus with PG you gotta re-apply about every year. One a fishing boat I wouldn't hesitant to use PG, but on nice WW boat I would try to bring gelcoat back best I could. One downside is once the gelcoat has faded, it requires much more attention to keep it nice.

Comment

Come on KKO, don't be cheap, just wrap it, I know $4k is pocket change for you Just kidding. I thought your boat all looked pretty good, I don't know that I've looked at the transom that well. You could put that clear mask transom saver stuff on it?

Comment

yeah i thought about doing that. Im also going to have my cover extended so it covers the back and platform. yeah the rest of the boat is real nice shape but the back is grey were its should be black.
          mtn i got a scoop on you today said you were pretty impressive behind the boat. Randy had good things to say about you.

this is when i first got it. they guy i bought it from had it detailed before i got it from him. the tige sticker on th back is gone. Its faded again but you can read TIGE were the sticker use to be because it is not nearly as faded.So i have my work cut out for me.I have never wet sanded before but im gona give it a try. i am going to take the grab handle and D-rings off to make it eaiser to buff.
          Last edited by kko; 03-03-2009, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Use meguiars M9132 and a Porter Cable 7424. I would recommend trying these products first. Even if you need to wet sand you will need these to remove the wet sand marks. It's a win/win combination.
            http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+PRO+32
            http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11080
            Attached Files
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

how much of the compound would you need for the back of the boat? I have to do the same exact thing. Is 32oz enough?

Comment

from what i have been reading 32oz should be PLENTY. all the stuff i have read said go light on the product and let the pad do its thing that to much product will clog the pad up.

Comment

^^^ That is with any product that you use. More doesn't always mean better.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                    ^^^ That is with any product that you use. More doesn't always mean better.
                    What about tools

Comment

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
                      What about tools
                      Having more tools is better in this case!

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                        Having more tools is better in this case!
                        X2

Comment

After buffing with the compound, do you follow it up with something else? Wax etc....?

Comment

again from what i have researched yes. 1-if real bad wetsand ,compound,polish,wax. or 2-if not real bad compound,polish,wax. Again this is only from asking around this is the most common response. If am going through the trouble of removing grab handle and D-rings im going to wetsand or atleast try to.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnsmith View Post
                              Come on KKO, don't be cheap, just wrap it, I know $4k is pocket change for you Just kidding. I thought your boat all looked pretty good, I don't know that I've looked at the transom that well. You could put that clear mask transom saver stuff on it?
                              OK i will wrap it!(the back that is) get your boy over at shadow casters to give me a light set up and a wrap with his company logo on it and i will have it installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X