Transom "Scum"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transom "Scum"

I have a discoloration on the transom of my boat from what I can only assume is a mix of exhaust and dirty lake water. I'm unable to clean it off this 'scum' with just normal soap & water.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I've heard of cutting acetone with water and trying that....??? Thanks for any help.

Good question, I have the same thing. I was told to use Toilet Bowl cleaner and wax it after words. I have also heard good things about the 3M Hull cleaner. I have never heard about the acetone cleaner, I wonder if that would be too harsh?

Comment

The hull cleaner works like a miracle. You can buy it at Walmart or West Marine.

Don't forget to wax the boat after you use it. It will last cleaner longer.

Saulo

Comment

Ok...I'll stop by West Marine this weekend and pickup a bottle.

Thanks for the suggestion, it'll be nice having that part of the boat look decent again.

Comment

Let me know how it turns out, I need to do that soon.

Comment

acetone works great for dock rash and scuffs. Just be cautious because it will leave a film after its used. It looks damaged, but use some wax and you are good. And try using Castrol Super Clean to get off exhaust and stuff on the back. It's at WALMART for about 6 bucks a gallon and its in a purple bottle. Spray and rub---*** DO NOT LEAVE ON TO DRY*** it will discolor to a nasty yellow color.

Comment

I use Greased Lightning, works really well. I rinse quickly and always apply wax immediately afterwards.
              -Tip

Comment

Working...
              X