Sticky Rudderr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Rudderr

I have a 2001 21V and when I pulled the boat out this year to winterize it, I noticed that the steering was very tight. Could this be the rudder, or the steering cable? I noticed a grease fitting on the rudder shaft . . . how frequently must this be serviced? Any tips would be greatly appreciated . . . thanks, Steve

I would bet that it is the steering cable. Mine went out last year and I have on 01 23V. Although I dont know about the grease fitting.

Comment

the grease fitting is for the rudder. if a rudder goes dry it will usually chatter while turning it from lock to lock with the boat on the trailer.

if the steering is tight it is probably the cable. to test this, disconnect the cable from the rudder. if it stays tight then it is the cable, if it free's up then it is the rudder.

water is a killer to steering cables. try to keep the bilge as dry as possible. keep the shaft packing adjusted for minimal drip or install a pss seal. it is a dry seal. also, be sure your bilge pump is mount as far back and as low as possible in your bilge. i've seen the all the way up by the v-drive. the water can be as deep as 3 inches and the bilge pump could not touch it.

the cables have a 2 year warranty through its manufacture NOT tige. if you let alot of water in the bilge 2-3 years is about all you'll get out of them.

DO NOT grease the cable end that passes through the tube. the grease will turn to clay.
      Greg Denton
      former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Working...
      X