Raw water pump hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw water pump hose

The raw water intake hose has been rubbing on one of the tracking fin bolts. It has nearly worn a hole through the hose. Any ideas on what to wrap that section of hose with or protect it with? It does not appear that the hose can easily be rerouted as it is pretty stiff.

Any ideas/suggestions very welcome!

Try putting some silicone over the bolt. You can always peel that off if you need to pull the tracking fin. Alternatively, find a way to secure the hose so it's not sitting directly on the floor of your bilge.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Is there enough thread on the bolt for another nut to hold a rubber-cushioned steel loop strap? (mcmaster.com, pg. 1474)

Comment

There is plenty of thread I believe... nearly 3/4 inch worth. Thanks for the suggestions!

As for the hose. Rather than replace it at this point, I can wrap it. There are lots of things that can be used to wrap it, but are there any suggestions as to what will work best?

Comment

I wish I had remembered the name of this (sorry, I'm becoming an old dog), but there was some tape/wrap material that a guy was selling at the boat show (across from the Wet Sounds display here in Austin) that was self adhering (so when you wrap it such that it overlaps, it actually creates a seal. It's somewhat stretchy, but it's very tough and super heat resistant so it's kinda like a superglue version of duct tape. I regret not buying it, but it had some super strength capabilities that would allow you to use it even in high pressure situations.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
            ... Rather than replace it at this point, I can wrap it. There are lots of things that can be used to wrap it ...
            I'd sure wrap it. There's minimal pressure in it and after taking mine out to put in a shut-off valve it can be a real pain. After being clamped around the fittings for awhile the hose just doesn't come off.

Our boat had a similar issue, but since it's a V-drive the rubbing was from the rudder control cable mount. It was hard to see unless you pulled out the hose - inside, under the engine. Even wire-wrap ties on a section of radiator hose would stop the wearing.

Comment

Man! Now I want that tape too, and I didn't even see it.

One of the most useful tapes I've seen is called Gaffers Tape. They use it for Audio/Video stuff, to tape down electric lines to the floor.
              Very expensive.

Could this be it, Dog?
              http://www.filmtools.com/rescuetape1.html
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Yes, good find, TeamAllen!

Comment

Cut a piece of heater or radiator hose to put on and then tape that over the raw water hose. That should keep any rubbing to a minimum. Can you put some sort of support under the hose to keep it over the bolt?

Comment

Here's another option:

http://www.siliconetape.biz/silicone...fications.html

Comment

Replace the hose and then use a piece of the old hose as insulation against abrasion.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I also have plumberstape from HD that stretches and forms a seal as it is wrapped.

I will be replacing the hose as after feeling it, there is a pretty good gouge - more than I thought.

Can anyone recommend where to get the hose? Are they standard?

Comment

I got mine from my dealer. I still have a little over 2' left. How much do you need?

Comment

With all of its bends, I would say that it is 3-3.5 feet in length.

I would have thought that the hose came pre-bent based on the engine configuration.

Comment

Ok, our hoses are different then. Remember, my engine is reversed from yours. Mine just had the straight 1.25" hardwall hose. I had some left over.

Comment

Working...
                              X