Broken Glove Box Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Glove Box Cover

2001 2100V with cracked glove box lid. Local dealer says Tige' no longer stocks this!!! I read another post where someone suggested to have an aluminum one built. Does anyone have a picture of this? Not sure how this would look, or how it should be designed. Otherwise, any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks!!!

Is the crack bad enough to where you can't glue it back together then have vinyl installed over it? Just a thought.
    "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

I got a piece of metal about 1" wide by 10" long and used small bolts to fasten it to the inside. You don't even notice it unless you really look when you open the cover. The outside looks the same other than a couple of extra screws. It cost about $2.

Comment

The crack is right above one of the hinges. I can post a picture tomorrow.

Comment

That is how mine was also. Glue it and put the piece of metal on the inside as extra support.

Comment

Costigan! Thank you! Here are my before and after pictures. This solution works great and very inexpensive (especially compared to a new one - if available)
            Attached Files

Comment

Glad it worked. Somebody else on this site gave me the idea a few months ago. What a helpful site this is.

Comment

I've had good luck using JB Weld on plastic repairs, especially if there is enough around the crack like a screw boss. It just takes awhile to set, so duct tape can be used as forms. It wouldn't work on this hinge without the alum angle support. Short pieces of wire can be heated and pressed into plastic to work like rebar or small sections of screen can be used for reinforcement. I think I'm going to add the alum angle to mine before it breaks.

Comment

Looks good! Great job on the repair atlcajun.

Here was the thread Costigan was referring to.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6172
                  Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
                  X