Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

06 24ve with MP engine problems

Guys,

I can't get my tige to run over 2000 rpms, if you give it gas it will try and go then cut back to an idle. It was started and run 3 weeks ago when I first noticed the problem, then ran again this past weekend. It was winterized, however I think someone siphoned our gas as it was on empty and I left it full this winter. So, I am thinking condensation in the gas line. What else would cause the engine to run fine at idle and bog back down to idle when given gas??

When you do run it over 2000 rpm's, does it bog down and chock itself?

Similar to when you drink water and you drink it too fast and start to cough because you can continue to drink that fast?

Comment

Are you sure it's not going into limp mode because it's not to water? Have you changed your impeller recently?
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I assume it's the 340hp? Do you have duel batteries?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

It does sound like it is boggin down like there is a fuel delivery problem. I have not changed the impeller since it was new, but the engine temp didn't ever rise above normal. It is the 340hp with dual batteries. The batteries are a little weak right now, but I can't imagine that would have to do with the problem considering it would start ok.

Because of time constraints and lack of mechanical prowess on my part I just took it in to our marine mechanic. He is going to check it out and see what is wrong. He is also doing the normal maintenence, oil change, impeller, transmission fluid, and checking all components.

I asked the question on here to see what the consensus may be if my mechanic can't figure it out.....I'm sure he will though.

Comment

Originally posted by akdoc View Post
            Guys,
            .... So, I am thinking condensation in the gas line. What else would cause the engine to run fine at idle and bog back down to idle when given gas??
            Sounds like water in the fuel system. Our old boat had similar symptoms when the fuel filter/water separator was full of water.

Comment

First thing to check is battery voltage, if you have dual batteries they have to be equil in voltage , if they .2 volts or more apart it will go into limp mode due to code 81, chrge and test both batteries , when the boat sits for long periods of time one or both batteries will get weak.

Comment

I know the batteries are not at full charge becuase when I turned the key to the acc position it won't even power my amps without the boat on. I just can't believe that the batteries being low would cause the boat to shut down at just ove 2000 rpms. I did not get any alarm when it happened, just backed off to idle. Thanks for the tip FIC, if my mechanic doesn't figure it out I'll suggest charging the batteries!

Comment

What FIC said and the boat is going into limp mode, it's there to stop you from doing any type of damage to the boat and allows you to only get back to the dock. It's a safety precaution and worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by akdoc View Post
                    I know the batteries are not at full charge becuase when I turned the key to the acc position it won't even power my amps without the boat on. I just can't believe that the batteries being low would cause the boat to shut down at just ove 2000 rpms. I did not get any alarm when it happened, just backed off to idle. Thanks for the tip FIC, if my mechanic doesn't figure it out I'll suggest charging the batteries!
                    If you know the batteries are low, sounds like you already found something. If you mechanic wants to keep looking before charging the batteries, find a new one.

Battery juice is the blood of any computer controlled system. Start with the basics and charge up the batteries.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

It might not be your problem but in 2006 the drive by wire system had one module powered by the dash power, which is accesserie battery and the engine module powered by the other battery, they comuncate via serial data thus if one battery is a different voltage to the other this type of problem will occur, their is a modification which your dealer can do to wire both off of one battery, which will elimnate this issue in the future, or normally just getting both batterys back to equil ussually corrects this if this is your problem.

Comment

My mechanic called yesterday, he tested the fuel pump pressure and it was low. He got down there and found the ground wire had come loose and was not making contact full time. He tightened it down and off he went with no problems. Whew, I am glad that's all it was. So I am anxious to get down to the lake to ride and surf this weekend!!

Comment

Good news!
                          Enjoy the weekend.
                          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
                          X