2007 20V - How to get it ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 20V - How to get it ready?

My 20v was winterized by the dealer last fall. I was new to the boat, and due to the lack of service manuals provided, decided to let the dealer do it all. Wow $400 (included the required 10hour thing).

I was so used to my really old Correct Craft (1971!!) as it came with manuals that told you how to do everything you needed. I guess Tige wants to support their dealers. I've read the threads on the "lack of manuals"!

The dealer said I had to bring it back before I launched it this year. I am just wonder what on earth needs to be done? Other than charge the battery, check all the fluids, etc.

Can a more experienced 20V owner help a buddy out?! I am quite handy around motors and required tools are at hand.

Thanks

Paul

When your boat was delivered to you, your dealer should have given you the owners manuals for the engine, transmission, V-drive, stereo, trailer, vinyl, what have I missed? All this comes in a black bag with extra key (and key code), trailer hitch cover, key chain, etc. These manuals, much like the owners manuals in your car, they will cover the basic things such as winterization/Summerization, trans and V-drive service, etc.

OK, now to answer your question and get you on the water: More then likely, the boat was left in a winterized state, i.e. plugs left out. The hard part is to figure out where state it's in!

Your boat has a (2 total) plastic plug in each exhaust manifold and a knock sensor (2 total) on each side of the engine for block drains. There are 2 drain plugs in the V-drive which may or may not have been removed, a drain plug in the bottom of the trans cooler, again, may or may not have been removed as it's easier to just pull the raw water hose off of the cooler.

I would take care of the obvious, and then run the boat in the drive on a fake-a-lake to make sure all else is good to go.

I'll PM my number if you have any more questions. Sometimes it's easier to describe things over the phone while you are looking at the boat.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks! Yes I have the manuals, but they don't specifically cover "fitting out" at the beginning of the season, which is why I was mystified that the dealer said I "must bring it back to remain in warrantee".

Interestingly the marine power manual does not exactly match my engine, but I am guessing that they made minor changes that upped the HP to 340 from 335, but did not update the manual.

So I guess I need to see if they left out the drains, etc. next time I am near the boat (its an hour away in a garage at the moment).

Appreciate the help.

Paul

Comment

Did your dealer say the "summerization" would be free since you payed for the winterization? If it is included, just bring it to them and have them replace all the plugs, etc.
        "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
        "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

the good thing is that once you do it once, you'll have no problem. Good luck

Comment

paulct
            what is the date on your marine power manual?

Comment

I'll check the manual date as soon as I get home.

I spoke to the dealer about his "fitting out" recommendations. He said "cap, rotor and plugs, impeller". Boat has under 10 hours on it......I think I will charge the battery, check the fluids, wax and go!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulct View Post
                I'll check the manual date as soon as I get home.

I spoke to the dealer about his "fitting out" recommendations. He said "cap, rotor and plugs, impeller". Boat has under 10 hours on it......I think I will charge the battery, check the fluids, wax and go!

Paul
                Charge the battery(s), change the impeller, make sure all the plugs are in and hoses are tight, lube the steering/rudder grease fitting. Have a great Summer.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

FYI, my Marine Power manual is 1994, revised 6/2003.

I guess that explains it!

Comment

Working...
                  X