87 or 93 Octane Gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 or 93 Octane Gas?

with the ever rising price of fuel, what is recommended for my 2004 22V - Do I need to use 93 octane or is the cheap stuff OK?

Originally posted by signguy22 View Post
    with the ever rising price of fuel, what is recommended for my 2004 22V - Do I need to use 93 octane or is the cheap stuff OK?
    I'm sure most of use 87....

never had a prob
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

No need to spend extra money on higher octane...87 works just fine. Just DO NOT use E85 or any ethanol blend higher than 10% ethanol. Attracts water and can corrode fuel lines.

-Mike
      Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

If you had an older engine, you would need to run higher. The newer fuel injection engines running 10:1 or lower aren't so picky. I have to run higher or I get detonation when I kill the key. My engine has pretty high compression.
        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Thanks! You just saved me a bunch of money!

Comment

If you have the mercruiser I think it actually recommends 87
            Common Sense is not so Common
            Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I do have the Merc....I am an ex-snowmobiler and this is only my second boat, so by habit I always ran 93, but it is killin' me at the pump. I will make the switch next fueling!!!

Comment

I bet it is fun snowmobiling in San Antonio.

Comment

at the pump, octane is raised by oxygenatingthe gas. I know this is the case in Cali for the last several years. This means using higher octane at the pump can make your engine run leaner. So usually not a good idea unless engine requires. Instead of using 91, use good gas like chevron or unocal, not arco and valero and stuff. Especially if you don't run your boat constantly. IMHO, of course.
                  http://wake9.com/

Comment

Here is a decent FAQ I stumbled on.

http://www.brownsmarina.com/tech-rfgas.html

RFG gas is oxygenated, and higher octane means even more oxygen which means leaner running. So in California, not a good idea to use higher octane unless your motor needs it.
                    http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                      I bet it is fun snowmobiling in San Antonio.
                      Hey, we get snow down here.
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

HA...I am a Yankee...moved to the sun in Texas, away from the snow in Chicago! Went from sleds to a Tige!! You guys don't miss a beat!
                        - - dogbert I talked to SPBFAN today and he sugested we get together! I was just on the Pedernales last weekend and going back for Memorial Day!
                        Last edited by signguy22; 05-12-2008, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                          not a good idea to use higher octane unless your motor needs it.
                          Well that would be me then, Indmar specifies 89 octane and i confirmed with the dealer. Something to do with the EFI,ignition and ECM, blah, blah, blah
                          "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Originally posted by signguy22 View Post
                            HA...I am a Yankee...moved to the sun in Texas, away from the snow in Chicago! Went from sleds to a Tige!! You guys don't miss a beat!
                            - - dogbert I talked to SPBFAN today and he sugested we get together! I was just on the Pedernales last weekend and going back for Memorial Day!
                            I almost never make it to the Perd. We're usually on the northwest end of Lake Austin during the week or at my weekend place on Lake Buchanan. PM me if you ever venture up to Lake Buchanan.
                            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Several of the articles I read on efi engines...mercruiser, pcm, indmar, volvo, crusader, mp...seemed that if you run regular as your standard fuel then the engine figures out how to run on regular. This could be completely way out in left field, but it seems like running regular would be fine unless your engine specifies a higher octane. I know the octane battle has been kicked around here and on many other boat forums ever since it hit $2/gallon.

By the way, I know it can snow in San Antonio, I have pictures of me as a toddler...in 1985 with about 12 inches of snow. I grew up there and it gets plenty cold...every once in a while! Now I live in Florida, and I think it gets cold here too, 65 is cold!!!
                              Last edited by mtnsmith; 05-13-2008, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X