Osmosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osmosis?

Is Osmosis blistering a concern? Seems to pop up in discussion threads from time to time. I have a 20i 2001 and have never really left the thing in the water for any length of time. Personally, I've only seen this type of problem on older boats left in warm fresh water. Anybody ever seen it on a Tige?

We've got a 2007 20v that we had in the water in a new england lake for the season last summer (3 months). There was blistering over the entire wetted surface - about 3 to 5 blisters every square inch. For the last 20 years no fiberglass boat we've owned has had a problem this extensive. Boat is now back at factory in Texas and I'm trying to find out just what Tige will do.
    kmose

Comment

I posted a response on kmosley's post re: blisters.

My opinion, working in the marine industry, is that one should prepare a boat for long-term wet storage if one intends to leave the boat in the water. In addition to the issues with osmotic blistering, marine growth can play havoc with raw water intakes, props and shafts, and pretty much an system left in the water. You will not find a non-trailer cruiser launched without at least a barrier coat and an anti-fouling system applied.

Just knowing the hygroscopic nature of gelcoat and the underlying fiberglass, I personally would be nervous leaving a "naked" boat in the water for long time periods regardless what the manufacturer said about their hull's resistance to blistering.

This is just my two cents....
      It's not an optical illusion.
      It just looks like one.....

Comment

Working...
      X