Keel Gaurd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keel Gaurd

Anyone using a keel gaurd? I'm thinking about putting one on for those times when there is clean sand to beach the boat vs mooring offshore.

I'll ask the question - Is it safe to beach a tige'?

What if the beach is shallow enough, or the boat turns sideways and all of the sudden, the shaft and the prop are touching the bottom? Wouldn't that bend the shaft and the prop?

Comment

I only beach when the water is deep enough for the hardware, it isn't choppy and there is rock free sand. I saw a few keel guards at Havasu and they seem to work pretty good.

Comment

From your answer, it sounds like you've thought about it

I used to beach my old I/O all the time. I never had a KeelGuard and after 7 years, the hull still looked brand new, though I only beached it on the soft sand of the Mississippi River.

If I was on the market buying a Direct Drive or V-Drive and saw one with a KeelGuard I'd be looking at it twice. Not everyone might be as careful as you are with your boat. What I'm saying is that it may hurt you at time of resale. Just a guess - I don't have any facts or figures to backup my statements.

Saulo

Comment

smendez

Do your beach your Tige?

Comment

Do I beach my Tige'?

No I don't. I'm just too afraid that another boat's wake will either turn it side ways or beach it to the point that the prop and shaft will hit bottom, so we anchor away from the beach and jump

It's a drag when the water is cold, but not a problem right now

Comment

I never beach mine either. Two scared that I'll mess something up!!

Dom
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Beaching

I've had mine for 5 years now and beach it. As with everything else you have to watch what you are doing. When I beach it, I'm never far away that way I can keep an eye on it. If the water level changes or it starts to turn sideways I'm there to correct the issue. I'd never beach it a walk away.
                Never Enough Time to Go Boating

Comment

Working...
                X